Need some help....

brasssmanget

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
While doing some turning using the power feed, all of a sudden it just stopped working. The drive screw stopped turning at the gearbox. Is there a pin or something similar that could break? I can still hear the noise from inside the gears or back area where they engage, but nothing is turning any longer. Anyone have any ideas on where to start looking before I get too crazy here? This is a 1941 SB 10L with single gear box. Has been working fine for a month (since I got it) but yesterday it just stopped turning the lead screw (?) that runs along the bed while in mid stream. I can still work - just have no power feeds right now. And it was going so well - sigh..........:(

I'm not familiar with the single lever gearbox, but I would look for a sheared-off key, or possibly a gear with a broken tooth.

Well, I guess I should have looked a little closer and not been intimidated. I pulled the rear cover off to have a look see, and lo and behold it was a simple thing after all. Apparently there was enough chatter/vibration to walk the lever that changes speeds of the screw gear (as seen on pic). It had moved to the middle spot and was not engaged in either gear. Oh well - better to ask and feel stupid later than to be afraid to ask. (chuckle) Anyhow, all is well once again. Guess maybe I should get in there and clean the gears up a little - looks like a few years of grease and grime on them.

gearpic01.jpg

gearpic01.jpg

Back