Need some thoughts on this craftsman 101 . 07403

no change gears .. witch sucks I am going to have alot of money in it just to get it working properly .. As for a VFD can anyone give me a link for a one to use with it or do you need infor from the motor. keep in mind I have a small budget

im betting the change gears could be had on ebay. I don't recall now what that set consisted of, for me it was a cigar box full of die cast gears. is there a gear chart in the gear cover? if so you can figure out what is needed for common threads.

no change gears .. witch sucks I am going to have alot of money in it just to get it working properly .. As for a VFD can anyone give me a link for a one to use with it or do you need infor from the motor. keep in mind I have a small budget

You only need the change gears if you're going to do threading. For basic turning, you should be able to get that lathe running with the gears that are on it.

If you run that 3/4-HP motor on that static phase convertor you will get 2/3 the HP, which puts your right at 1/2-HP. Based on the above comments, that's "just right".

Almost any VFD will do if it takes 220V 1-ph in and outputs 220V 3-phase.
For about $160 you can get a Teco unit that will convert 110V 1-ph to 220V 3-ph.
It works up to 1 HP

Hi I have what appears to be the same machine. Is that Spindle size accurate? 1 1/2" x 8 TPI? Also where did you get that quick change tool post?

Yes, Spindle thread is 1-1/2" x 8 tpi. Through-hole is 25/32 to permit 3/4" stock to be passed through. Taper is 3MT, tailstock taper is 2MT.

BTW: use-enco.com has the Phase II AXA wedge-type QCTP kit now on sale:
Phase II Kit # 251-111
Enco Model # 890-9636 Web price $185.95 (reg price $389.52)
On-line catalog page 493 The sale price shows when you add the item to your shopping cart.
I do not know how long the sale will last.

Spiral_Chips

Last edited by a moderator:
Back