Need Some Tig Welding Done On 7075 Al

seanb

Registered
Registered
Is there anyone in the St. Louis area who can do some tig welding on Al

I have an 80% ar-15 receiver I screwed up on and need part of it welded up again. Its not a structural part.

I will pay $$ or trade gunsmithing work.

I'm in St Louis, but this has always been my understanding of welding 7075 (quoted from Lincoln Electric):

Most aluminum alloys are weldable, but there are a fair number of them that are not, including 7075 aluminum. The reason 7075 is singled out in this example is that it is one of the highest strength aluminum alloys. When designers and welders look for an aluminum alloy to use, many will start by reviewing a table that lists all of the aluminum alloys and their strengths. But what those newcomers don't realize is that few of the higher strength aluminum alloys are weldable - especially those in the 7000 and 2000 series - and they should not be used.

Maybe it's fine if it's truly nonstructural.

Reynolds Aluminum had a book they published back in the 1960's- 1970's on aluminum welding. It covered details on virtually any known grade of aluminum out there. I'm sure a quick Google search will turn up hits on welding of 7075 aluminum. I'm no way an expert at aluminum welding, but have some knowledge about the subject. I know in the oilfield industry, they are welding tool joints to 7075 aluminum tube. I know a retired welding engineer I could talk to.

For many years we had a Goodyear owned tire plant here (Kelly-Springfield) and of course, that supported quite a bit of mold work. If I'm not mistaken, 7075 is one material commonly used for molds, and this includes tire molds. I knew a couple of guys who worked at a support shop for that tire plant, and they were always welding up some worn or damaged feature. Whether or not it was 7075 or not for sure I don't know, but it seems that unless it was a structural component for aircraft, a common application for 7075, I don't see the suspected problem of micro-cracking after the weld to me a problem. so I wouldn't be at all surprised. If it's important, I might be able to track down one of those guys and ask. That tire plant is long gone now, and it hurt Tyler's economy when it left. I think it went to.....wait for it.....Mexico if memory serves. Not China though.

Back