Need some wiring help for an Atlas Craftsman lathe

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have an Atlas Craftsman lathe that came with a motor that was wired for reverse and forward by the PO. The wires were rotten, cracked and filthy, so they need to be replaced and the machine needs to be wired to go forward of off, as on the original. This is what I have:
DSC00513.JPG

#1. HOW TO CONNECT CLOTH COVERED WIRES TO PLASTIC ONES
There are two wires coming from the motor. I can't tell where. These are connected to the original power cord. How do I attach these to a new cord wire? They are cloth-covered, so I want to know if there's anything special that needs to be done when connecting them. I thought I would use butt slices or wire nuts.

The black wire is the hot one, the white is neutral, but what about a ground wire?

The silver stud on the left is connected to a plate and the one on the right has a wire coming from inside the motor and is also connected to the same plate at a different point.

#2. CORRECT WIRING
My plan was to connect the wires as shown, but I don't know how a ground needs to be connected:
DSC00514 (2).JPG

Electricity is not my strong suit, so I thought I'd ask and see the correct way to do this. Thanks!

as far as connecting a new cord, remove the insulating wrap at the connections, de-solder or clip the leads.
you can solder the new cord to the motor , adding some shrink tubing before the soldering would be a good idea.
butt splices or wire nuts are acceptable too, if you have room to work

a ground wire can be connected anywhere on the motor frame, that is not insulated.

Best practice for ground is to use a proper ring lug on one of the motor case screws. The lug is crimped or soldered to your ground wire which then goes to the ground prong on the plug. Also it's good practice to have a second ground from the motor to a screw on the machine.
The ground wire should be green or green with yellow stripe
With old cloth covered wires, it's sometimes advisable to slip some insulated tubing over them as far as you can reach, to help prevent fraying and shorts
If the wires are really rock hard, I would avoid moving them around or trying to straighten. Also, you might find the wires are too short to use butt splices- In that case wire nuts might be useful. Soldering and heat-shrink tubing is also a good method, if you have a heat gun

Last edited:
Reverse rotation _can_ be useful on such a lathe. For example, when using a collet or dogs. YMMV.

Craig

Thanks to all.

1. So I just can use the usual connections, it appears. I like the shrink tubing idea on the wires, thanks.

2. So my wiring diagram is correct? The ground should go to somewhere on the motor housing, correct? I should mention that the motor is really old and doesn't seem to have any ground wires on it.

Reverse rotation _can_ be useful on such a lathe. For example, when using a collet or dogs. YMMV.

Craig

This lathe came with a lathe bed turret so I'm sure the PO used the reverse feature for that. However, this is a threaded chuck so reversing it can loosen it. That said, I've seen a few lathes like this one that have a reverse switch.

The reverse switch was beat up, filthy and old anyway. The PO had it mounted to the table the lathe was on. I'd like this lathe to have everything attached to the lathe.

Back