Need suggestions for holding 1" x 1/8" disk for face milling and drilling

jrdarrah

Registered
Registered
I need to drill three holes in a 1" x 1/8" brass disk. The two smaller holes will be tapped for a 4-40 thread. the center will be drilled for a 5/8" hole. This is one half of a AA battery cover. The lid will sit on top of this and will have the two smaller holes but be solid on top. Given its use, I don't need great precision except the small holes need to line up. Since this is only 1/8" thick I need some ideas, maybe for a jig, to hold this in the vice so I can drill the holes and optionally surface mill the top in such a way that I don't turn the piece into a mini frisbee.

1591925842410.png

Use the 4-40 threaded holes to hold it to your fixture and take itty bitty bites until you face it down to the right length.
Greg

I'd probably make the disk itself with the center cutout on a lathe, then part it to size. You can use parallels behind the jaws to get it flat when you flip it over, and though 1/8" of hold isn't much on a chuck, its doable.

Then, just use a pair of V-blocks in the mill plus some parallels to hold it in the vise to drill your holes.

Back