Needle Gun

The only other things I can add, having used them quite a bit in the past, is that the following safety equipment should be considered mandatory when using a needle gun:
1. Ear protection
2. Goggles. Not just safety glasses, as the chips go everywhere and can easily get past a pair of glasses.
3. Respirator or dust mask.
4. Gloves

Kroll,
Sorry I didn't respond to you sooner but I did take a picture of my needle gun on Sunday but I just didn't have time to post a reply.

I must echo all of the safety precautions that were mentioned above when using a needle gun. Having spent almost 20 years at sea, I have used a needle gun or two and I can tell you that the HF version might disappoint you. I have an IR gun now that is the best one I have ever used. It wasn't cheap but you can throttle the trigger and adjust to the material that you are working on.

It's not a tool to use on everything but for removing paint on big heavy castings, it's hard to beat.

#93.JPG

well I found my wire needle gun attachment and all the dang needles have taken a trip somewhere. I still cannot remember where it came from but a quick ebay search turned up this...
Air Hammer Needle Wire Impact Cleaning Brush # 7708, Made in U.S.A., and for only $30 too.

I may have a used air hammer I could part with that's not junk but Chicago Pneumatic. I will look later today. if I have it, its a CP711 and I think new they are around $50. used is usually half. . . but let me look first.
davidh
(the old Birch Industrial Tool Sales & Service inc guy)

I used one for years not for removing rust or scale, I used it for welding cast iron I would use castweld 55 and them peen it with the needle scaler to expand the weld and keep it from cracking the cast. I never had a failed weld after using one. Ray

+1, great tool. FWIW, you need a mask when using a grinder, the stuff coming off a wire wheel will be even finer. So, it's no different in terms of PPE. I used a needle gun to take an entire milling machine column down to bare metal....it was by far the fastest method, and at least the chips drop to the floor versus being thrown across the shop!

I used to run one hours on end when I sailed as an AB years ago. They're not really THAT loud but of course louder than a grinder. I have a feeling if you give a try you'll find yourself using the grinder less and less. They take it down to bare metal pronto.

I was a AB in Hawaii in the 80's as a dayman and used a needle gun hours on end. It's real loud when you are chipping rust in a cargo hold.
I have always wanted one and saw one on HF.
I now use it to remove thinset off concrete floors when I do tile work.
I miss sailing.

Back