New Atlas owner with a couple of parts ID questions

Maarten

Registered
Registered
Hi, first post here so apologies in advance for possibly some daft questions coming up. I bought a 1946 Atlas 10" a few months ago and am finally getting round to sorting a few things out. Lots of YouTube videos, books and Model Engineers' Workshop magazines later I am still unsure about a few parts that came with my lathe.

For me this is the start of what will be a steep learning curve which starts at aboslute zero.

Are the top 2 photos parts of a vertical slide?

No. Probably not. Assuming that they are Atlas parts, , they are probably for a table for either the Atlas Shaper or the Atlas mill. Look for a part number either cast or stamped in that begins with either 'S7' or whatever the mill model numbers were. I ought to know but my memory isn't what it once was.

IMG_3973.jpegIMG_3974.jpegIMG_3976.jpegIMG_3975.jpeg

Collet chuck on the right, no idea what is on the left here.

IMG_3977.jpeg

Would this be a ER25 collet chuck?

Many thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Maarten

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what ER size that is, but it's a nice tool to have, if it's accurately made. It allows you to put stock all the way thru the spindle, rather
than the wasteful practice of cutting short individual pieces when making a number of similar parts using blind collets and a drawbar.
The top photo items are, possibly, aftermarket pieces that were available years ago- multi T-slot cross slide and matching compound-
The T-slot slide would give some additional utility for milling on the lathe, or mounting workpieces for boring operations.
The other piece is some sort of homemade arbor, perhaps for holding a saw blade?

Last edited:
That looks like a Myford “top slide” and cross slide. I read somewhere that it was a popular modification at one time.
And then Mark got you for the collet set, and I have no idea about the others.
Anyways google Myford Super 7, and check it out.

I suspect that chuck is for ER 32 collets. I just checked mine (a different make), and the opening of the nut is right at an inch, like yours, but the widest part of the taper under the nut is about 1-1/8 inches (little over 32 mm). The diameter of a ER32 collet is 33 mm, per Little Machine Shop table at:
ER Collet Sizes
ER 32 collets are easy to find in lots of sizes (metric and imperial) up to 3/4 inch. Have fun with your new lathe.

Last edited:
I think the Myford connection is a good observation, they have that rather distinctive shape on the compound dial. They’re both flat way machines as well, so maybe made for an easy swap.

I can say with certainty that none of the parts are from an Atlas horizontal mill.

The collet chuck, if it runs true, is a wonderful addition to your lathe.

Thank you all for the advice. I have searched for Myford parts and although I cannot find the exact items, I can see the similarity in shape and style. I will get a few ER32 collets and spanner and see if it fits.
In the last few days I have converted to a QCTP which was a lot of hacksawing and filing to get the T-nut to fit. I am not completely happy with the fit and am wondering if turning a round T-nut which will have a smaller surface area but more accurate fit would be better. I am concerned my hacksaw effort might have localised internal pressure point which might fracture the brittle cast iron. Not sure how critical the fit is. It slides smoothly in/out but will be a rather crude attempt despite my best efforts.

Pictures are worth a ton with a question like that.

Myfords are flat way machines? I guess I forgot that- :)
Yes, you want as much surface area as possible with a T-nut- be careful not to over tighten
Pictures!

Back