New Jet 14

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Re: New Jet 14" x 40" Lathe

Nice looking lathe- that had to set you back a bit. I would love to see some more photos of it in use making some parts when you are ready to roll....

That $140 engine crane sure comes in handy. I have one of those myself and I have moved everything from a 1000 pound Southbend heavy 10 to a 1400 pound Van Norman #12.

Best,

Nelson

Platypus, your new Jet is a real beauty! I have an SB 10K and an 11" Logan. Both have served me well within their design limits, but they are just too small and too light for some of the work I'm running into now. So, I'm considering "a walk on the dark side" - purchasing an Asian lathe in the 14x40 to 16x60 range. Since those are just south of $10k, I want to be fairly certain that such a machine can hold a tolerance and deliver on repeatability. What results have you been finding with your Jet? I've got to be able to hold .001" across a 12" workpiece. Are the larger Asian machines up to the task? Getting wife's approval was really tough, so I want to be sure.

Thanks,
John

Any Updates or progress with this lathe?

ALW

Hi,
Nice lathe, I have been watching your progress.

I have had the gap out of my 12 x 36 lathe at least 30 time over the years with no problems as long as everything is clean. I have had people visit and been in shock when mentioning I remove the gap. It seems to be a myth that they can't be reinstalled accurately again if taken out.

I find the best way to get it set up perfectly true is to put a mag base on the cross slide with the dial indicator on the ways and move it side to side from the lathe ways onto the gap. This can also be done on the side of the gap as well, but I find doing one side of the V way and the flat way over the back to be enough to get it accurate.

Dave

On the Jet BDB1340 lathe that we bought for the shop, I was not happy about the stand. It did not seem to be stiff enough. The lathe and stand would wiggle, giggle and vibrate a bit. Therefore I added 3" angle iron about 36" long to both ends of the stand, thus spread the feet out (front and backwards) and this stopped the slight unstablity.
Your stand appears the same as ours. Have you seen this with your stand?

Back