New Kit Available "Rotary Demagnetizer Kit"

Doug Gray

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
The Rotary Demagnetizer can mount in the lathe, mill, drill press or portable drill, a few passes over the rotating face of the demagnetizer will make your hand tools virtually chip free. A fun project that will get rid of that pesky magnetism on your hand tools.

The eight plus page drawing package shows all parts dimensioned, build notes and instructions for use.

This is the complete kit, featuring easy to machine UHMW and aluminum.

"This is a simple fun project that uses a pretty good range of skills and tools. Seems like an excellent early project, or a quick knock-off for an old hand."

Available at my store https://d-gray-drafting-and-design.myshopify.com/

Attachments

• 20210926_194232.jpg
    20210926_194232.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 20211006_210820.jpg
    20211006_210820.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 205
  • 20211006_210951.jpg
    20211006_210951.jpg
    898.5 KB · Views: 223
  • front page.JPG
    front page.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 225
In the face of that cool gadget, I know this will sound a little make-do, but I needed to demagnetize a screwdriver to stop it pulling the screws up out of the holes and flipping them sideways before I had a chance to even find the first thread.

I already knew that if you put magnetized metal in an alternating field, and then slowly pulled it out until too far away for the field to leave it magnetized when the field gets switched off, it ends up demagnetized. Lacking a AC demagnetizer, in a pinch, I spotted the neodymium magnet stuck to the shelving stand, normally used to trap notes. Said magnet was salvaged out of a trashed hard disc drive.

I clamped the screwdriver and then held the magnet up to the blade, but avoiding the "snatch grab", and I just turned it this way and that, alternating it by twisting my wrist, while slowly pulling it away. It took only seconds, and the screwdriver seemed de-magnetized. At least, it no longer pulled on the screws.

Back