New knee mill - advice saught on motor controls - VFD, DC conversion etc

Thanks - so I'm hearing name brand Teco, Delta, Hitachi VFDs are quality items
If not new, any tips on where to source a 3ph 1.5-2hp motor and what brands or other to look for?

I think I will run the machine for a while as-is but am always tinkering and thinking about the next upgrade.

Since these mills have no back gear you should try to find a 6 pole (ideal, 1200 RPM) or 4 pole (more common, 1800RPM) 3 phase motor. Sometimes you can get good deals on ebay if you are wiling to change out the bearings.

My conversion:

I recently bought an unused surplus 1.5HP marathon inverter duty motor off of EBay for $150 delivered. If you’re willing to make an adapter plate for mounting, there are often deals available that way.

Also, as you dig into the conversion, I highly recommend checking out Clough42 on Youtube
. His lathe conversion video did a really nice job of walking through the details of what parameters to set and how to wire the control cabinet. Link is for parameter programming, but the others are on his channel too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Matthewsx in post #7: variable speed on a milling machine is not terribly important, not nearly as much as on a lathe, in my opinion.
Belt changes really don't take much time compared to other things. On my machine, I mainly use just two of the 5 speeds: low for steel and high for aluminum and brass, and due to a back problem I have to use a step stool also. Not a big deal. The belt change is a tiny percentage of time spent.
-Mark

I totally hear that - thanks for weighing in with real experience.

I'll agree with everything @matthewsx posted.

That said, I've converted two mills to 3 phase motors - a Grizzly round column (RF-30 clone) with dual belts, and my current PM knee mill, with a single belt and back gear. I find the variable speed feature to be very useful, for two main reasons:
1. Power tapping. The lowest speed available with belts is a lot faster than I feel safe to use. In addition, a VFD allows nearly instant reversing of the spindle direction. The knee mill does have a spindle brake, but it's inconvenient to get to when paying attention to the tap. The Grizzly did not have a spindle brake, so if I were to even try power tapping, I'd have to be very good at anticipating!
2. Convenience. With two belts, resetting speed on the Grizzly was kind of a headache. Oftentimes, the belt on the bottom would have to be repositioned above the other one. On that mill, I found the "sweet spot" belt combination and left it there nearly all the time - used the VFD to change speeds for different workpieces and cutters - everything from steel to plastic, 3" shell mills to ¼" end mills. I'm still learning the ins and outs of the knee mill, but it looks like I've again found the "sweet spot" belt setting.

As others have said, converting to a 3 phase motor and VFD will cost a few hundred bux, some time, and some rewiring. The existing forward-off-reverse switch will have to be rewired as a VFD input. It should NOT be left between the VFD and motor. And of course, you'll want to add a speed control pot somewhere handy.

Try your mill as is for a while. And consider your priorities. A DRO might well be a handier addition than a variable speed motor. It does look like you have a nice mill there!

As far as the overhanging motor on the back side, the positive is lower overall height which may not matter to you. My Clausing is set up the same way, and the shorter height was of huge importance to me.

I just made a low shelf for my metal stock and put it behind the mill to use the otherwise wasted space below the head.

shelf 2.jpg

Back