New Lathe Motor

Chip Hacket

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Motor broke on my lathe. It was an IEC frame 71 120vac. There is no such animal to be found (well i couldn't find one). So found a 3 phase 230vac 71 frame. It fits!! Only problem is the shaft is not as wide and is shorter. So I made an adapter on my little Taig lathe. This is not as easy as I thought it would be. So currently I have about .0019 TIR. Do you guys think that will be ok? Think that will cause vibration? I'm kinda worried. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 11
Run it and see, you can always make another one if it's a problem....

You'll love the 3 phase with VFD I assume.

John

Yea I have the drive on the bench working ready to go in the box. Everything was going great. Then the shaft didn't appear to be running true. I finally got it down to just under .002 but that's about it. I gave up and went to the beer frig.

Another thing that helps with vibration is rubber motor mounts. Available from Mcmaster carr

mount er' up and give er' a spin, that's the only way of knowing

I’m pretty sure the sheeve on my baldor dc motor running my lathe has more radial runout than 0.002 alone….lathe runs fine.

That is on an Atlas TH42 though, which hangs the motor off a pivot pin so its free to move if it needs to.

Back