New Lathe Owner

Zane

Registered
Registered
Actually new owner of an old lathe (also my first lathe). I was able to get an Enco 14x40 lathe just for hauling it off. Owner said some smoke came out of it and it just quit. He was ready to upgrade and didn't want to mess with it anymore. The problem was only a wire burned off of a terminal but since I do not have 3 phase in my shop I removed all the old electrical controls and installed a Teco 7300cv VFD. I have it wired and running and everything seems to be in good condition. Now I am starting to take it apart and clean it. Major job as it is really dirty. I am going to change oil in the gear boxes and apron. The manul calls for Shell Tellus 33 in the headstock and gear box, this crosses over to Mobil DTE 24. It calls for Shell Tonna 68 in the apron, this crosses over to Mobil Vactra #2 way lube. Does this sound right to run way oil in the apron? I will have many more questions in the future. I can clean it up and wire everything up and get it running but when it comes to buying tooling and actually using it I'm gonna need some big time help. I really like the friendly atmosphere of this forum and looking forward to learning more.

Good deal on the lathe I can't help on the oil problem as I have misplaced my oil chart. Good luck with your lathe.

You can use AW 32 hydraulic fluid in the gearbox. My 13x40 is the same, way oil is specified in the apron because some of the gears and shafts in there are completely above the oil level and only get oiled when they are turning. I suppose the clinging way oil is used to help keep things coated in oil.

Note also that the half nuts and worm and worm gear are not lubricated at all. You need to reach behind the apron and manually oil or grease them or make sure the feed and lead screws are kept well lubricated. Grease lubricates better than oil on exposed gears and shafts, but it also collects more chips, grit, and trash. Anything is better than dry. My lathe came with a spare worm gear, worm, and half nuts -- I wonder why?

This a great forum. Glad I found it....wish I had found it sooner. I am looking for the South Bend Lathe of my dreams. Old, post WW2 for Table top use...Thanks to you all. Larry (novice) H.

I'm new to the lathe also. I started with a mini and after almost a month just bought a vintage South Bend 9 I think it was made between 1925-1930 I think.

It runs was test for a second. But I'm waiting on the oils to come in. It sat for at least 40 years before I got it. I want to flush it with new lubricant and clean it before using it. It's hard not to walk in the garage and start working with it.

I've got most of the Enco lathe cleaned up and ready to put it all back together. Someone had turned some plastic of some kind on it and it had wrapped around the spindle and packed the holes full where the bearings get their oil. Don't know how it got enough oil to keep from burning up the bearings. I cleaned out the top hole and put it back together and oil started pouring out from around the spindle when I started it up. The cleaned out top oil hole was letting more oil through than could run back into the case through the bottom hole. I took the whole spindle shaft out of the gear box and the front bearing was also packed with

Sorry, got on the wrong button and posted the last message before I was finished. I took the whole spindle shaft out of the gear box and the front bearing was also packed with plastic chips. Cleaned everything out good and put in new oil and all is good now. As I start to buy tooling for this, what would be a good size chuck for a 14 x 40 lathe. I didn't get any tooling with the lathe and realize I will spend way too much getting what I need but hey, I really enjoy it. As outoftimedreamer posted above, it is hard to go to the shop without working on something on it.

Ouch good that you caught it could have been bad. I'm still cleaning very old grease and oil off it has very little rust. On a off note i never expected how heavy this thing is next time I'll bring help, I picked mine up with just me and a pickup truck.

Good catch and good luck.

Back