New Lathe Problem

StudioMachinist

Registered
Registered
Hopefully I'm just missing something obvious here...

Finally moved my new 1130V into the basement yesterday and I'm powering it on for the first time now and cannot figure out how to turn the motor.

The machine has power and is turned on (lights/display/fan). The button I assume powers the motor does not illuminate or rotate the chuck in either CW/CCW position. the spindle is not bound up and moves freely.

Man I wish I had tested this when PM was still in their offices.

Attachments

• 20240217_084233.jpg
    20240217_084233.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 51
Your speed knob looks to be at zero, turn it higher and see if that works.

Nope, it wasn't the speed know, it was the chuck guard left up from when I had it rigged to my crane.

Alls good now, I am in fact an idiot.
I have removed the plexiguard chuck guard on my 7x14 (because it really doesn't add much 'safety' as far as I can see) but not the switch or the plate the guard attaches to. I flip the plate back to the 'safe' position when I'm done for the day before leaving the workshop.

The number of times I have come in to the workshop, switched on and thought to myself "Why is nothing happening?", which then is fairly quickly followed by the metaphorical forehead slap! :grin:

Last edited:
Nope, it wasn't the speed know, it was the chuck guard left up from when I had it rigged to my crane.

No, you aren’t.

When I bought a PM25 off of a retired tool & die maker, he had mentioned his lathe hasn’t run since he returned home from a trip.
Long story short, it was his chuck guard shaft. He removed the guard, but somehow the shaft had turned & that’s why his lathe wasn’t running.

It happens, man.

Have fun & be safe.

Would you like to know how frequently I forget to switch the Priest Tools Deluxe Spindle Brake on my Mini-Mill before pushing the Start button?

Before I installed the Deluxe version, the overload would kick out when I forgot to pull out the spindle locking rod, so I guess this is an improvement?

Back