New Lathe VFD Gremlins

wnchstrtnfldvlle

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The lathe arrived a couple days ago, and just got it wired up this afternoon. Now I have what I believe to be an electrical issue. I had a trustworthy electrician friend on mine help me with changing out the receptacle and wiring the plug end. Everything is rated for 20 amps to include the breaker. The chuck won’t spin when turning the speed control. It will spin when I hit the jog button. But it has a high pitched “whine” while spinning.

It was originally purchased as the 1440-BV, but was fulfilled with the newer version 1440-2V. From what I can tell there are some cosmetic changes to the control panel, but I’m hoping the electrical components are close enough that some of the more knowledgeable people on here can help me out. The manual leaves a lot to be desired, but I’m assuming that will change when they’ve had some time to update it.
IMG_4690.jpeg

Main panel lights. According to the manual the white light is the indicator light.

IMG_4692.jpeg

The VFD is blinking the “21.40” repeatedly. There is nothing in the manual on how to deal with this. I’m hoping it just needs some sort of a reset.
IMG_4689.jpeg

Electrical box. Looks like a relay that has a red light on steady. I’m assuming there’s an error with that one.

I wasn’t watching when he finished wiring it up so I’m not sure in the main power switch was on when he plugged it in. But I don’t believe it was.

Any ideas??

Was the VFD wired directly to the motor with no switches or controls between it and the motor?

Red light in corner of display indicates a run command when on and not lit when stop, flashing display is typically the frequency set. and it may flash as it updates. f there is a VFD error it would indicate and E0XX fault code. The whine is the carrier frequency at very low Hz for the jog, this is normal. I would check if the KA0 (forward) and KA1 (reverse) relays are operating when you move the spindle switch. If they are not operating then check the chuck cover switch, belt cover switch and any other interlock switches. Did you try to press the red reset button on the front panel?

Best thing is to go through this directly with PM/QMT as this is a new version, there is no lathe manual. There is a VFD manual.

have you talked to PM?
I plan on contacting them tomorrow to see what they think. Just thought I’d put it up here for some input in the meantime.

EDIT:
I went to their webpage and downloaded the older manual for the BV. Right there on page 2 there’s a big photo explaining that the lathe will not run if the motor control lever is in the up or down position. problem solved. It seems to be running fine now. I appreciate everyone’s input.

Last edited:
What are all the relays for in that model? Must be low volt control stuff

Back