New member and old Japanese lathe

.....so I understand how useful the front and rear tool-post mounts could be, and would eventually like to have that option for my SouthBend 9".

But what is with the short dovetail section just above the spindle?
ScreenShot084.jpg

Is that a place to mount an indicator? Maybe?

Anyone?

-brino

.....so I understand how useful the front and rear tool-post mounts could be, and would eventually like to have that option for my SouthBend 9".

But what is with the short dovetail section just above the spindle?
View attachment 384417

Is that a place to mount an indicator? Maybe?

Anyone?

-brino
Yeah, Brino, I would love to know. Unfortunately, the guy that had it didnt know anything, other than it used these rare collets, and that somebody found it near the long beach pier area. It has two holes in it, and one may be an oiling port, at least when I put oil in it it disappears relatively quickly, and its right above the spindle bearing.

That's probably a mount for a specialized cutoff tool. You get an adjustable (beforehand) and repeatable cut off relative to a stop in the spindle.
I've seen them on Hardinge lathes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That's probably a mount for a specialized cutoff tool. You get an adjustable (beforehand) and repeatable cut off relative to a stop in the spindle.
I've seen them on Hardinge lathes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Yeah, makes sense, Ive noticed several similarities to a Harding HV style lathe. It sure is cool, I was using it today, and the clutch makes using it so nice. It cuts very clean and has a nice finish too. I'm falling in love, again....

Back