New PM-728VT mill - installation question

6061T6

Registered
Registered
Hi folks,
I have owned and used a lathe for several years but this is the first time I will be using a mill.
My DRO equipped PM-728 arrived last week along with stand and many accessories. I was torn between getting this or a larger mill. I expect to convert this to CNC by end of year. Given this has a CNC conversion kit that is OEM, it seemed like the better choice.

Very happy with the experience this far. The packing was really excellent. The finish, paint etc. are very nice. Even the stand is excellent. It was very easy to put together.

Newbie question: the PM manual recommends removing the drawbar prior to lifting and installing the mill. Is this really necessary? The drawbar seems to have been tightened by a gorilla and appears impossible to budge right now. PM tech support appears to have gone home for the weekend.

That's odd..... What is the Drawbar attached to? Was it shipped with a collet in the spindle?

Update:
PM called back. They said the instructions were wrong. No need to remove the drawbar.
So PSA for folks who buy this mill, please ignore this line in the instructions.

If it's that tight, it's not going anywhere as a result of you moving it around. I hope they gave you some idea why it's in there that tight. I imagine an impact wrench should be able to break it loose.

If it's that tight, it's not going anywhere as a result of you moving it around. I hope they gave you some idea why it's in there that tight. I imagine an impact wrench should be able to break it loose.
The guy who spoke to me had no idea why it was there in the first place. Maybe Matt N is watching and he can comment.

Received my PM728 w/DRO on 2/4/21 and my draw bar was in the spindle, nothing in it, and not tight. Installed R8 precision drill chuck to check operation. All seemed OK on mine.

Last edited:
My 728 came with the draw bar in the spindle. It cannot be tightened without a collet in place so I don't know how yours could be tight? Please investigate and let us know.
Robert

Have mine up and running in the corner of my 1/2 garage area hobby shop.
Fun retirement project times. My PM equipment.png:grin:

Back