New Quill Feed Handle for PM935

davidpbest

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Using my new PM935, and coming from a Rong Fu 45 (the real one, not a clone), it seemed to me that every time I reached for the single quill feed handle, it was indexed to the wrong position. So I decided to make a new 3-spoke handle out of stainless.

The quill feed handle interface to the mill head looks like this.

And the factory supplied handle is like this.

So the first step was to make the hub element that fit onto the quill feed spindle.

Ready to drill out for the quill feed shaft and the three spokes for the handles.

After drilling out and boring for the quill feed shaft, a test fit on the mill.

That hub was over-thick, but I decided to move on with the spoke handle part of this. I tilted the mill head 60-degrees, and used the rotary table with 3-jaw chuck to hold the hub, and drilled and tapped for M10 spokes.

After machine tapping as deep as possible, I finished by bottom tapping by hand.

The spoke making was easy - 1/2" 304 round bar, threaded M10 at the end. Test fit to access the required length.

Next step was to turn the knobs for the end of the spokes. And the first step in that process was knurling the 1.5" diameter 304 round bar. Here's how that went.

After some additional lathe work, I had my three knobs, threaded M10 for the spokes.

The hub was machined down in thickness and drilled and tapped for set screws to hold it on the quill feed shaft and for a pin to index into the feed shaft indexing holes. Checking my hardware stock, I realized I did not have any brass-tipped set screws in suitable size, so I made my own from stainless M6 set screws.

And the final result.

It works well, and a knob to grab is now always within reach. I may still shorten the spokes another 1.5 inches or so - still getting used to it.

This was a fun project. The complete build log is here if anyone is interested:

Looks like I have another project!
Very nice!

Nicely done....

Nice work. Does it help balance the quil return? My PM935 is sluggish on quill return even after adjusting the spring.

Just out of curiosity - do you think you can retain the original hub and just add additional handles?

Last edited:
GREAT JOB !
I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN BY THE SAME TRACK GOING DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS .

Looks great David!
What is your material for the hub & the knurled stock?

Nice work. Does it help balance the quil return? My PM935 is sluggish on quill return even after adjusting the spring.

Just out of curiosity - do you think you can retain the original hub and just add additional handles?

The quill return on the PM935 sucks, even after adjusting the spring tension to the max. I'm told this is the case on a lot of J-head type mills. Adding this handle balances the weight better than the original handle, so it improves quill retract a bit, but it's always iffy.

Yes, you could drill and tap the factory head for additional spoke handles if you don't mind the angle. IMO the angle of the factory spoke is too steep. I did mine at 30-degrees, the factory handle is closer to 45.

I put a spider handle on my pm935 as you did. They sell hand wheels for them, and I had a few aluminum racing wheels on hand. So I made an adapter, and here it is. I thought I may has to use a set screw as the adapter does not have a spring loaded locating ball. Turns out, it was such a snug fit it was not needed. Wheel is 14 inch dia.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpeg
    IMG_0597.jpeg
    711.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0604.jpeg
    IMG_0604.jpeg
    525.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    438.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0616.jpeg
    IMG_0616.jpeg