New Scroll Chuck Tight

parshal

Registered
Registered
I got a new TMX set-tru 3-jaw chuck. It is tight when trying to open and close the jaws. I removed the two backplates and jaws and it's still tight which tells me is the gearing on the inside and not jaws on the scroll. I don't see a way to adjust the gears at all.

I realize it's new and might be tight but the new Chandox I got with my 1340GT wasn't tight at all. I can use one finger on one side of the key and wind it down by hand. I need my entire hand to get this one to move.

It's normal. The new TMX chucks are made in Poland now, probably by Bison. The older TMX made in China were crap, I sent it right back the day I got it. I've had 2 brand new Bison chucks, both were tight out the box. My 6-jaw is broken in & I can wind the key with one finger no problem. My 3-jaw is only about a year old & doesn't see that much use, it's not quite there yet but getting there.

If it really bothers you, you can take it apart, clean out the grease & regrease lightly. I personally wouldn't & would just let it break in. Bison uses fancy smancy expensive grease, Gleitmo 805 grease. If the TMX chucks are indeed made by Bison I assume it may have the same stuff in it.

I was going to take the entire thing apart including the scroll and gears. I won't use this enough to break it in. I bet it'd take five years at the rate that I'll use it. I wonder how I can break it in quicker?

I was going to take the entire thing apart including the scroll and gears. I won't use this enough to break it in. I bet it'd take five years at the rate that I'll use it. I wonder how I can break it in quicker?
If you want to twirl a chuck key, buy a cheaper workholder. If you want secure accurate centering use a high quality chuck. Bisons are fine interpretations of older and expensive brands; I don't hesitate a minute shelling out for Bison tooling.
Just spin it in and out a few times every day. Build an adapter to run it with a cordless drill, at a speed similar to by hand. Taking chucks apart, especially separating the body, will teach you very little except "I don't have enough brass drifts. . ."

Back