New to me Bridgeport and a question...

Technical Ted

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've wanted a Bridgeport ever since I first got my 1st South Bend lathe over 35 years ago. The planets and stars finally aligned and I just brought one home! I've got the bottom totally dismantled and the turret up are mounted on my Brown and Sharpe 2B mill's table so I can look at that before installing. Need to buy a VFD as well is someone has suggestions there.

Anyways, here my question and some info:

Serial numbers:

- front of knee: 12BR140782 (makes it 1971 era)
- side door number: 140732 (the 3 might be an 8; can't tell)
- head: J144595

My understanding from searching on-line is that it is a 2J head. The thing is, everything I've found states it should be a 1-1/2 HP motor, but mine is 2HP.

So, I'm wondering if the head and/or motor has been swapped out???? Or, if some of these did come with a 2HP motor. Anyone know?

The base also has those zert oilers... So, I'll have to play with making an oiler for those. Again, I'll take suggestions if someone has some.

The mill has definitely seen use and has more wear than I was hoping for, but for the price I was willing to pay, I'm satisfied. My biggest concern is the head, but I'll have to get the VFD to see how it sounds. He didn't have it hooked up since he was moving his machines out of the way for another venture he is doing. He needed them gone so I helped! ;)

Oh, and as part of the deal I also got a South Bend lathe. I didn't really measure it or check the tags (because I was mainly interested in the mill) but it's almost as big as my 15" SB and has an 8" four jaw chuck on it, full 5C collet head/set, faceplate, dog set, bunch of cemented carbide tools (band new in the wrappers, 2 Jacobs chucks, dead centers, misc tooling and it even has Flame Hardened Ways!!! :) It's in very good shape, nice and tight. Half nuts are tight as well as everything else I quickly checked. I wasn't looking to get another lathe but I ended up getting both machines for what he was originally asking for the Bridgeport alone. He's going to deliver it in a couple of weeks as part of the package. He's really nice guy. Anyways, I hope I can bring myself to sell it! Or I'll just have to make some more room!

Ted

20180224_173426.jpg

Nice Score Ted!
the variable speed head is a great feature! 2 Hp is even better!

Good for you Ted.

You have to realize that these machines are getting quite old and as you stated, well used. Anything and everything is possible with these machines when we don't know the full histories of these machines. Some of our machines have been repaired and repaired again over the years with replacement parts and upgrades. Some of these machines have been built from parts of other machines. I know your curiosity is working on you over this but I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it. I mean, in the end what does it really matter if it can make the parts and do the jobs you need it to. That machine will provide you with endless hours of fun. Thanks for sharing you fortunes with us.

Back