New to me Clausing Atlas 10100.

The downside of using an MT mounted draw bar secured collet chuck is that you can't stick long stock or a long part through the spindle. However, although there is at least one source for a spindle thread mounted ER collet chuck that will fit the 1"-8 spindle threads on the early Craftsman 101.07301, no one has yet reported anyone selling a 1"-10 to fit the other six Atlas built 6" models. However, I have seen at least one kit that could be finished with 1"-10.

On the subject of reversible motors, ALL single phase capacitor start AC motors are reversible. Some are just harder to do than others. On some, you have to partially dismantle the motor in order to gain access to the separate Start circuit wires.

The downside of using an MT mounted draw bar secured collet chuck is that you can't stick long stock or a long part through the spindle. However, although there is at least one source for a spindle thread mounted ER collet chuck that will fit the 1"-8 spindle threads on the early Craftsman 101.07301, no one has yet reported anyone selling a 1"-10 to fit the other six Atlas built 6" models. However, I have seen at least one kit that could be finished with 1"-10.

On the subject of reversible motors, ALL single phase capacitor start AC motors are reversible. Some are just harder to do than others. On some, you have to partially dismantle the motor in order to gain access to the separate Start circuit wires.

hmm. on my westinghouse...has a setting inside that i had to swap the red and black connectors to make it go clockwise

Then the motor is reversible simply by using the proper switch properly wired. As I just wrote in another thread, you will need at least a 3PDT Center Off switch to do it with one switch. Or the original switch for the ON-OFF function plus a second DPDT switch for the reversing function. Most people (including the factory) use a Drum or Barrel Switch, either by itself or in conjunction with the headstock mounted ON-OFF switch. The latter choice would be preferred if you have rug-rats around. Mount a drum switch above and behind the machine that they can't reach and keep the headstock mounted one for normal operation. When you are finished with the lathe for the day or night, move the drum switch to OFF.

Back