(New to Me) Enco 111-1445

RedOctober357

Registered
Registered
Just purchased a Enco 111-1445 lathe from a shop that didn't have a need for it anymore . They listed it on FB marketplace for $1800 and I was the lucky guy they picked to sell it to. I run a small machine shop biz and recently moved from Albuquerque to Chattanooga, TN. I previously had a Jet 1024 lathe but sold it off to a neighbor before I moved. Being lathe poor, I thought this would be a great addition to my shop and was larger than anything I've had before.

PXL_20230717_160154347.jpg

I usually use the hydraulic drop trailers from United Rental to move heavy equipment, but unfortunately on the day I went to collect the lathe, they didn't have any available. I called SunBelt and they said they had some drop trailers in stock but when I showed up, it was a single axle trailer vs the UR tandems. Not having a choice, I hooked up and went to the shop. Everyone there was super cool and helped me load it onto the trailer. I had seen that the weight of the lathe was around 3k lbs and with the trailer, I was pretty much maxing out my 4runner. I was able to load the headstock side onto my pallet jack and I put a 1k dolley under the tailstock side.

Driving was pretty sketchy. The weight was obvious and I ended up crushing the HF dolley. I had to stop to retighten straps along the way and noticed I was bowing out the trailer. I was only 30 miles from my house but took backroads and kept it under 40 to be safe. If I was able to load it on the UR trailer, it wouldn't have been so bad and putting the headstock to the rear wouldn't have mattered at much. I loaded it with the intention to make it easier to unload into my garage.

PXL_20230717_165126503.jpgPXL_20230717_165118237.jpg

Back