New to the forum, Logan 200 and 1875

OK, it's good to know you've been in touch with Scott and know what the closer will fit. You might shoot him an email and ask what other models it will fit. That will make it easier to sell.

I'm sure you've seen the legs and pans on ebay. I don't know if they ever sell, but the prices are staggering. And the steady rests usually bring $100-150. I think you should be able to get around $750 for it if you get it running and make it look "purty".

Hmmm, a hot rod lathe? Maybe.

Steve

Well, one way or another.. It'll be an interesting and educational journey! Thanks again for the help. I'm sure I'll be asking for quite a bit more. Eventually I might be able to even give some to some other future greenhorn... That's how its' supposed to work, right?

Hey;

If I thought that new fangled lathe of yours would net ME $800 profit right off the cuff, and it was the more worn of the two.... I'm NO GOOD at math at all, and even I can do those numbers. You've got a collet closer for doing the work you want to do (makes perfect sense for that work) on the better machine that you already own, and that machine will do every iota of the work that the newer one would if it were in good shape, if with slightly more experience-earning effort on your part. I'm looking for a downside here.......

Please don't think I am a curmudgeon, just out shirting on your parade. I'm in the same boat. I'm kind of a farmer type, though. I will make due with what I have. It's not a question of money. No, I don't have that either, but I know what I lack more than that is skills. My machine mentor told me a long time ago to resist the temptation to buy all kinds of gee whiz stuff, and concentrate on the basics. He was very right, and I have some super cool stuff that I've never touched to prove it. I still have not learned how to use the most basic stuff to it's full potential.

I've learned a ton in the past couple of years, and not even scratched the surface. I'm using a lathe that is TWICE as old as the Logans we have. It is loose and worn and cranky, and I'm learning EXACTLY what I need to know by it. I'm learning how to MAKE IT WORK. You can't buy that. Not any other way.

Ya wanna talk challenges? Let me know how your bull gear looks compared to mine.

LoganBullGearDetail.jpg

That is one knarly bullgear! You can do interrupted cuts on a continuous piece of material with that. LOL. I'm hoping that's the before pic and you have since added a few teeth to it.

Chuck

Not to hijack the thread...

But to point out to FWG that we are all in the same boat out here, doing the same things, thinking the same thoughts with the same impulses. The difference between us is experience. Mine comes from elsewhere. Certainly not from machining. I don't know squat, but I'm having a lot of fun learning. Quite irregardless of the potential of the machine in question, the basic principles always apply, and arguably can best be learned on the simplest machine. I'm not even sure what all the controls do on my Prentice Gearhead yet, not that it is that complex... That century old beast is a rattlin, bangin, slip slidin SOB, but it is teaching me A LOT. The Logan is beautiful in its simplicity, and will hopefully become a much more civilized piece. At least I can get parts for it!

Yes, that is a many times hammered gear, for sure, shown here to illustrate what others are up against, and what can be overcome. It is the worst of four that had missing teeth on my poor old beast, all now replaced with used ones sourced from ebay. It seems that it might have lived at an armory or military training center, obviously being run by people that didn't necessarily know what they were doing. Yet, despite that severe usage - or perhaps BECAUSE of it - it has very little if any bed wear, and the parts that were not trashed are pretty decent.

So Guns, we all look forward to seeing what you find in your evaluation of what you've got there, and I think that's what you need to do. Step back and check it all out. Power them up an see how they work. You may have been a bit quick on the draw in buying what you did. First time that's ever happened in recorded history.... ;) However, aside from money you may not have to toss around, the experience - the journey - is priceless!!

- - - Updated - - -

By the way...

Most of these old birds have been slathered with many layers of variously bilious or boring industrial colors over the years. Mine had 3! Like they say on ships, if it don't move PAINT IT, and they DID! If you study you will find that the hue of many original color lathes (which are fairly rare) varies widely. It seems to depend on usage and environment as to what shade they have become over the years. A very good approximation of the handsome original color (early lathes only) is Benjamin Moore Baby Seal Grey 2119-30. That is what I am using, based on tips from restorers on other forums. It is not as blue as it appears in that previous photo. Good old alkyd enamel, probably like they had originally. Brush it on and then either stipple it with the brush or hit it with a roller lightly to get rid of the brush marks. Looks great!

I see where you're coming from. While I like the idea of using the 200, I don't know if the change gear setup is practical for me. We'll see. Luckily the 200 has a great deal of the original pain on it and has no signs of ever being repainted. I might be able to take the flywheel housing door to a local place and have it color matched with a spectrometer. Would be interesting to see how that compares to the baby seal grey.

Back