Newbie Frustration

zetuskid

Registered
Registered
Hi anyone,
Not sure this is right place to try to explain my frustrations, but here goes. I have been doing hobby woodworking for a number of years, mostly small items fro nieces, aunts, wife, etc. I have watched a ton of utubes and other videos about shop made tools which consists of wood, motors, electrical components, etc. I have to admit my total depravity of knowledge about electricity and other such science. To the point!!! A lot of shop made jigs, tools combine wood and some part of electricity. The wood - I understand, but most projects are vague in describing the actual electrical components and how they work. I get lost when someone talks about single, three phase motors, putting some type adapters to change their currents, etc. I know I could come to this site and ask any questions I have regarding a problem I might run into, but is there any sites or books I might investigate to increase my knowledge of this so that when I do come to this I will be able to ask my questions in a way in could be understood?

I will answer this in a simple way to help you ---just forget about getting any motors except ones that have a 110 or 220 plug on them--most simple homemade shop tools will work fine on them--they are all single phase---then control them with simple wall switches or toggle switches---control the drive with different sized pulleys---hope this helps------Dave

There are a lot of books on the subject that are written for the inexperienced user, but most of the DIY type books are geared for home improvement type projects, rather than the semi-industrial world of the home shop. These are available at most of the big box stores, as well as Amazon and others. They will give you the basics of electrical wiring and safety.

If you can find a copy of "Electrical Course for Apprentices and Journeymen", by Roland E. Palmquist, published by Audel, ISBN 0-672-23209-X. It is a well written book that covers the basics to the complex.

Also, the members here are pretty good at translating virtually any question asked, so don't be shy. We're here to share what we know, and are always happy to help.

I will answer this in a simple way to help you ---just forget about getting any motors except ones that have a 110 or 220 plug on them--most simple homemade shop tools will work fine on them--they are all single phase---then control them with simple wall switches or toggle switches---control the drive with different sized pulleys---hope this helps------Dave

Thanks Dave, I had just about figured that out as being the best route to go. No need in making things harder than they are already!

- - - Updated - - -

There are a lot of books on the subject that are written for the inexperienced user, but most of the DIY type books are geared for home improvement type projects, rather than the semi-industrial world of the home shop. These are available at most of the big box stores, as well as Amazon and others. They will give you the basics of electrical wiring and safety.

If you can find a copy of "Electrical Course for Apprentices and Journeymen", by Roland E. Palmquist, published by Audel, ISBN 0-672-23209-X. It is a well written book that covers the basics to the complex.

Also, the members here are pretty good at translating virtually any question asked, so don't be shy. We're here to share what we know, and are always happy to help.

Thanks Jim, I really appreciate the suggestions & encouragement!

I actually bought "electronics for dummies" to learn the basics and then used google search to expand on that. I'm still an electrical noob but I am not as in the dark as I used to be. ( pun intended)

shawn

When/If you ever run into a single versus three phase question then make it a point to understand what you are dealing with then. The likelihood of that happening in the near future is almost non-existent if you stay within the realm of hobby types of equipment. The three phase issue arises at the higher end of our hobby and by the time you are ready for that type of equipment you will have had the opportunity to read and familiarize yourself with the ins and outs of that type of power supply. The reason most of our tools come with single phase power is the initial cost to build those items is much cheaper which allows them to offer it at a price point that is available for most hobbyists. The larger and much more industrial machines being the exception to the rule, like a Bridgeport Knee mill or a large 5 hp. metal lathe. Both of which are far beyond your needs and capability at this point. By the time you graduate to those pieces you will definitely have gained the knowledge you need, Hope this helps, and never be afraid to ask any question because we do not allow rude or snide remarks on this site ever. Plus everybody here is interested in making your learning curve as pain free and fun a possible.

Bob

Hi anyone,
Not sure this is right place to try to explain my frustrations, but here goes. I have been doing hobby woodworking for a number of years, mostly small items fro nieces, aunts, wife, etc. I have watched a ton of utubes and other videos about shop made tools which consists of wood, motors, electrical components, etc. I have to admit my total depravity of knowledge about electricity and other such science. To the point!!! A lot of shop made jigs, tools combine wood and some part of electricity. The wood - I understand, but most projects are vague in describing the actual electrical components and how they work. I get lost when someone talks about single, three phase motors, putting some type adapters to change their currents, etc. I know I could come to this site and ask any questions I have regarding a problem I might run into, but is there any sites or books I might investigate to increase my knowledge of this so that when I do come to this I will be able to ask my questions in a way in could be understood?

Could you give a specific example of something you are trying to do?

There are many reasons why it takes four years to become an electrician. In my job, I'm constantly repairing wiring done by someone who though he knew what he was doing. So, rather than trying to find some book that will make you an electrician in one sitting, and as has been already written, lets tackle one issue at a time.

There are many people on this forum, electricians and non-electricians, who can help guide you one step at a time. Whenever you have an electrical question, post it with as much detail (and pictures) as possible and we will walk you through it. Then, on to the next one as it comes up.

Back