Newbie Indexable Boring Bar Question

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
I picked up a 3 set of indexable boring bars from grizzly and what I'm wondering is can you just plunge these style straight into solid stock to make a hole or should I drill a hole first then bore from there to make a flat bottom hole feeding side to side to flatten past the dimple from the drill ???20160212_203013.jpg

You drill a hole bigger than the boring bar first and then use the boring bar to turn the inside of the work just like you would do on the outside of the work. Feeds will need to be a bit lower than outside turning because of the less rigid setup. Yes, you can face the bottom of the hole with that style bar and insert.

Yep, drill first. Not sure if it came with those, but bars will have listed a minimum diameter hole they will start into.

Those look like nice boring bars. You'll love them once you really learn how to use them.

I somehow ended up with a Kennametal like the larger of yours. In the little time I've used it, I have one suggestion for you. BUY MORE INSERTS! You will crash it a few times before you get the hang of it...

Ask me how I know-LOL

Back