Newbie Looking For Pro And Cons If Any

pydeer

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone I'm looking at the PM 10x22v and PM 10x30v the PM1228 looks to be an awesome machine too. This lathe will be used for hobby turning brass, copper and some superconductor also will be used by my son for automotive projects. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Given the choice of 10x22/10x30 and 1228, hands-down get the 1228.

Why?
1. 1228 has a D1-4 cam lock chucks instead of bolted on chuck like the 1022/1030. Changing chucks is a 30 second evolution.
2. 1228 has a separate feed rod for the carriage; 1022/1030 relies on the lead-screw to drive the carriage. The latter arrangement is only found on small lathes, and will wear out the lead-screw much quicker. The former method, the lead-screw will be just fine when your grandchildren are learning to use it.
3. Bigger is always better. The 1228 probably masses 50% more than the 1022/1030.

Here is the thread on the 1228 (I had to look around, cause Matt doesn't seem to have the 1228 on his website):

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm-1228vf-lb.35363/

All that being said, if you have space and the budget, get a 12x36 machine (or Grizzly's shortened 12x24 version).

Why? The QCGB on the smaller machines is very VERY limited. You probably will swap gears on it every time you want to thread. The 12x36 machines have an open Norton QCGB that allow you to do almost all threading operations without switching change gears. Usually, only need to swap gears when you go from imperial to metric and back.

Agree with tmarks11, the separate feed rod and d1-4 cam lock are a big deal. You might want to also look at the 1127vf-lb (what I have). It has a 1.5 spindle bore and separate feed rod like the 1228, but doesn't have the d1-4 cam lock.

The 1228 has 15 different threads or feeds can be cut with one gear setup vs. 3 for the smaller lathes, and a few more imperial threads (21 vs. 27). Seems like a strong contender in this price category. Given that this comes with a 2Hp variable speed motor, and a lot of other big lathe features, I think it has a lot to offer relative to other machines in this category or even slightly larger. Unless you plan on doing a lot of different threading, I wouldn't give up the variable speed for an additional gear change on occasion. The ability to do quick chuck changes and not have to deal with some oddball chuck mount is significant, a very full featured lathe for the size and weight.

Thanks for all the great information

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Back