Newly Acquired 9C With Extras

BillPDX

Registered
Registered
Just brought this 9C home and cleaned it up a bit, definitely has some wear but still very functional. Serial number 161845. And what an upgrade from my Atlas 6"!

Interestingly, there's no belt tensioner lever. I plan on replacing the belt and wondering if the newer non leather belts need the lever? There's still a tensioner, just not easy to loosen the belt.

Also, any help identifying the change gears and other misc items in the pictures would be much appreciated. The steady rest is too wide for the 9C bed, and has no markings along with a welded piece to complete the circle. There are two attachments which can be attached to the bed, just not sure what they're for.

Thanks so much

Bill

Attachments

• PXL_20240207_201845235.jpg
    PXL_20240207_201845235.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 49
  • PXL_20240207_202224465.jpg
    PXL_20240207_202224465.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20240207_202527369.jpg
    PXL_20240207_202527369.jpg
    741.2 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20240207_202555647.jpg
    PXL_20240207_202555647.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 48
Looks kinda a great upgrade!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The attachments for the bed, the one in the upper right looks like the other half of the hinge holding your gear cover on. There is a pin cast in to the back of the cover that drops on the hole. The other, similar piece in the photo likely has a similar function. Holds something near the ways, or maybe a post goes in it with something attached to the post. I’m far from an expert but I have the same lathe.

PS, I upgraded to a synthetic belt when my leather belt finally gave out. It slips more that the leather one did. Do yourself a favor, get a QCTP.

I save my old truck serpentine belts for reuse on the lathe. See:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/help-on-replacing-the-belt.93684/post-866303

I think the lever tensioner is a plus to help extend the life of the belt by releasing the pull during the 99% of the day/night when I'm not using the lathe.

I can't tell if you have a taper attachment or not, but that could use one of the v-way clamps.
I also saw in some old Southbend catalogs a tool tray that used a v-way clamp.

Brian

The attachments for the bed, the one in the upper right looks like the other half of the hinge holding your gear cover on. There is a pin cast in to the back of the cover that drops on the hole. The other, similar piece in the photo likely has a similar function. Holds something near the ways, or maybe a post goes in it with something attached to the post. I’m far from an expert but I have the same lathe.

PS, I upgraded to a synthetic belt when my leather belt finally gave out. It slips more that the leather one did. Do yourself a favor, get a QCTP.
You're right on the gear cover hinge. Looks like I have two of them! I plan on getting a QCTP and synthetic belt. Thanks

I save my old truck serpentine belts for reuse on the lathe. See:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/help-on-replacing-the-belt.93684/post-866303

I think the lever tensioner is a plus to help extend the life of the belt by releasing the pull during the 99% of the day/night when I'm not using the lathe.

I can't tell if you have a taper attachment or not, but that could use one of the v-way clamps.
I also saw in some old Southbend catalogs a tool tray that used a v-way clamp.

Brian
Thanks for the advice on the belt and tensioner.

Back