Next chuck question: chuch wrench size?

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A followup question to my earlier one about my 5" 3-jaw chuck: my three chucks came with two chuck wrenches. One obviously fit the 6" 3J perfectly, and is too big for the 5". My other wrench is 5/16, fits the 4J perfectly but is too small/loose for the 5" 3J chuck holes, which appear to be 3/8, right on .375. Does one buy a wrench that fits exactly, i.e. 3/8, or is there a 11/32, a step down?
Assuming I should get the 3/8, do the self-ejecting wrenches actually work? I have, once, forgotten to remove the chuck and it hit me in the chest. I'm certain that's happened once to everyone operating a lathe, but I'm willing to believe that that experience will prevent a reoccurrence. So, I'm not sure I need the self-ejecting wrenches but am curious.
Is there a better brand of chuck, are they all basically the same and I should shop price, or should I just find an old one on ebay?
I recognize that I should mill my own, and except for the fact that I don't have rapid access to a mill I would. But, instead of adding this to a long queue of future projects, I think I just want to buy it and have it for when the chuck is cleaned out.

All suggestions, advice, warnings, and wisdom eagerly solicited.
Thanks!

Tim

Tim, if the 3/8" size fits the 5" chuck well then buy a 3/8" wrench or use a 3/8" extension from your tool box with a ratchet or just use a T-handled 3/8" wrench meant for 3/8" sockets. I'm sure you can find one on Amazon or eBay. You want a good fit for a lathe chuck key.

I don't like self-ejecting keys; they keep falling into the chip pan if I let go for a second. Better to make a habit of not leaving the key in the chuck.

Mikey,
thanks, what I thought...
Tim

You don't need a mill to make a key, a grinder and finishing with a hand file will do the trick.

John

Tim, I may have been mistaken. Did you say the hole in your chuck is 3/8"? If so, a 3/8" wrench will not fit. Best to try one of your 3/8" socket extensions in it before buying something.

Yes, the 3/8 socket extension did not fit.

haha was looking at that same listing and just bought one. Thanks!

Back