Nibblers?

Wow, Geno, you are way out of my league. I don't have much in the way of metal macheing capabilities both in equipment and more importantly know how! I'm just getting my feet wet on this.
Lanny

If you take a 1 inch block of high carbon steel and mill the shape out.
Then hollow out the middle about .250 deep leaving the edges about .100 thick then set up at a 30-45 degree and mill the outside edges until you have a sharp edge that is the exact shape you want.

Heat it until it's a dull cherry red then quench it in oil. Finally put it in the oven and heat to about 400-450 for 15 minutes. Let the oven cool with your die in it until you can handle it with bare hands.
Swing by a cabinet shop and pick up a few scraps of hard maple a bit bigger than your die to use as a backer on your press.

Lube your die with a light oil and you're making parts.

Use two pcs of your maple to sandwich the plaques and press them to straighten and flatten them out if there's any deformation.
If you have anyplace that the die didn't cut completely through, a utility knife will finish the cut cleanly in aluminum sheet if it's thin enough.
1/32 is pretty heavy at .0315.
If you could get away with .020 it will cut much easier and since they won't be heavily used your dies should last a long time. Might want to drill a hole in the center of each die so you can push your plaque out of the die.
Raw aluminum oxidizes like crazy but a coat of duplicolor clearcoat will keep it shiny for years.

Thanks
Geno[/QUOTE]

Hey Phil, I have a Harbor Freight nibbler but it cuts are too big for what I need and I can't control it very well. Perhaps if there was a table of some sort that I could mount it to then hand feed the piece to be cut through it it might work.
I will have to print the graphics first then cut them out. That compounds the problem a good bit.

Here is a sample of one of the more complicated plaques. It measures 2 1/8 x 1 1/8 inches.
Lanny

Lanny,
I have an air nibbler that I use to cut steel sheeting. It is easy to use and "fairly" accurate but for sure what you are looking to do with it there would be some clean up work to follow.
It looks that you want to be able to fold up the sides of your plates as well?
What about roughing out the ally oversize with snips, then use a die as suggested, but if you made it to form the lip and then trim the lip down to height with a belt sander.

Cheers Phil[/QUOTE]

Screen shot 2011-03-05 at 11.04.53 AM.jpg

Hey Chazz, Thanks for the info, I don't know anything about CNC systems but after looking at the Sherline web site their system looks amazing but likely out of my price range. The again, I only skimmed the site. Could be since I have computers ( Mac) thought I could get part of the system that just does what I need. No lathe or 3d capabilities etc.
I've been buying stock aluminum in sheets that I use in the trailer restoration and trying to cut small pieces to start with. The stock blanks are a great idea.
Lanny

For your odd-ball shapes (cheveron for ex) and the demand is there and you work envlope is under say, 8" x 5" I'd look at getting a business license then, 'somthing like' a Sherline or Seig etc CNC setup. You can save your jobs for repeat\future orders, takes up a lot less room then a collection of dies, not to mention ALL the other things you can do 'custom'.

As to the rectangular shapes, if they are of a 'standard' size (business card, recipe card, post-card etc) I agree with above, considering your time, I just did a quick search and you can get a 100 pack of 1.5" x 4" x 3mil thick alu. blank tags for only $14.00 cdn! (these happen to be 'sample tags' used in the mining industry) other sites have brass, copper, stainless and even gold plated.

Cheers,
Chazz

Back