Noob Q about oil

Aurelius

Registered
Registered
Ok, so I have my 1228 all set up and I am just waiting on the electrician to come and wire everything up.
In the meantime, I am getting everything cleaned up, dialed in, etc. and, as I am getting ready to lube everything up, apparently my brain is having an out of body moment. I have both the circulation oil and slideway oil that I got from PM. The slideway oil is the one I want to use in the ball oilers, correct? The manual just says ISO 68 but they are both ISO 68.
Thanks.

I would guess they are the same oil if they both say ISO 68. If they seem different, then use the way oil for the oilers and general lubrication.

Pictures of the newly set up lathe would please many!

Don't worry, pics are coming. I'm still a few getting things set up. Top of that list if figuring out how to level a 66" toolbox on an uneven, 100+ year old Pittsburgh basement floor.
I just checked PM's site again and the Slideway Oil is listed as way oil and the Circulating Oil is the gearbox/headstock oil.
So, does that mean the Circulating oil is just for the gearbox or for the oilers in the headstock as well?
As someone who wrote technical user manuals in a past life, this lack of detail bothers me.

Use the way oil for any sliding surfaces: ways, carriage, compound, tail stock

Use the circulating oil for closed gear boxes and on rolling gears

Just a general rule of thumb... Do not use detergent oils (motor oils for example) in a non-filtered gear train. You want the metal particulate matter to settle out.
I, and many others on here, use just a hydraulic oil with a tackifier added to it for our machine ways. I have a brand new 1440 lathe and that is what I use. STP oil treatment is a tackifier. I have even seen guys mention that they are using chainsaw bar oil.

I use Mobil Vactra #2 in ball oilers and Bejur oiler on the mill.

Cheap ISO 68(tractor supply, 50 bucks for 5 gallons) for headstock, gear box. I also liberally coat ways and vises with it. Cheap corrosion protection on wear surfaces.

I’ll spray down stuff with Hornaday One Shot(thin corrosion protection with paraffin) for long storage and when the weather is changing.

Don’t overthink it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back