Norinco 1911 grip bushings

GunsmithD

Registered
Registered
I know that Norinco doesn't have the best name and they are Chinese made. This isn't a discussion on the quality or craftsmanship of the pistol. That being said I will get to the point: The Grip Bushings!

I had taken the bushings off of one I acquired a few months ago. The main reason I bought it was to customize it. I've replaced most parts with Wilson Combat and a few with Ed Brown products. I was going to replace the grip bushings and screws with slim grip bushings. But when I took out the bushings, they weren't the normal 60 TPI that every other 1911 made is. They were a metric 6X.8! I was upset, so I thought that I would drill out the threads and use Brownell's oversized bushings. I changed my mind and made new ones. the outer thread I converted to inch. It was 28 TPI, and the major diameter is the same as it would be any other normal sized bushing (.236") So I made all 4 and ordered the tap for the inner diameter (.150X50 NS) from Brownells and got to going.

If you are wanting more specific sizes of parts, go buy or rent or however you want to do it, Jerry Kuhnhausen's books. Vol. II was more informative on part specifics while Vol. I was more specific on how to do certain work. And for God Sakes, make the tools you need! An Armorer's block cost $50! Go buy a hockey puck at a sporting goods store and make your own.

-Chris

That being said, the Norinco 1911's have a very good reputation and are widely used by 1911 builders from what I have read over the years. No need to worry about their quality.....

Ya, that's the reputation I've always heard. There are a few early ones that the metallurgy isn't good, but the one I have is good. It has machine marks all over it, but they are small and easily buffed out, once I decide to do that. I am planning on doing one of three things to "blue" it after I polish it. Either "paint" it with Cerakote, old fashion rust blue both slide and frame, or ofrb the slide and color case harden the frame. I really want to CCH, but I would have to make a lot of fixtures to prevent the frame from warping. I'll probably end up Cerakoting it.

Back