Not sure if this is the right home for this, but is there a way to replace the cover on a broken dial indicator without special tools?

STEMtheMachining

Registered
Registered
I bought a set of dial indicators from Eb**, and the Scherr Tunico came with a broken cover.

Is there any way to repair it?
8dfcb87257d39a093ed4a0a864a0440b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The company you referenced doesn't carry ones for Scherr Tumico, so I need, what, just the diameter and thickness measurements, right?

I only used the diameter, not even the indicator manufacturer name in my search for the new crystal.
I just used my caliper to measure the diameter of the recess it sat in.

There are likely different types of mounting.... I don't know if thickness could be important to some.

As I mentioned my new one came from ebay and was domed when I got it.
The Long Island Indicator site said they were flat, but took the dome shape when inserted into the frame.

Brian

Last edited:
I recently replaced the 'crystal' in a Starrett dial indicator. I was intimidated by some online discussion that talked about requiring a dedicated crystal press. I found that a drill press worked just fine. I drilled a ~1.5 inch hole in a chunk of 2x4 for the bottom and laid a piece of felt over the hole to protect the crystal. For the 'ram' I placed a 1/2" dowel in the chuck with a wad of felt under its end so that I did not scratch the new crystal. Placed the crystal over the hole, pressed down gently so that the crystal formed a slight cup shape and the bezel dropped right down onto it. Easy peasy.

Back