Nothing To See Here

npalen

Registered
Registered
Now that I have your attention. (Sorry about that click bait
smile.png
) I was thinking about ways to grind lathe tool bits etc a bit more accurately than by hand so attached a piece of shaft to the base of my spindex and clamped it in the mill vise. Works fairly well to set the spindex at a vertical angle by rotating and clamping the shaft in the vise. Then a compound angle can be achieved by indexing the spindex.

Could even achieve a third angle using a vise with the compound under it.

Got to thinking that a fella (or fellette) could combine a pair of spindexers to do the same thing. So continuing my pursuit of Fusion 360 learning practice, decided to model one. Everyone should own two spindexers, right?SPINDEX-DUO-1.png

I made something a bit different a few years ago to sharpen or create new HSS lathe tooling. In this case I started from scratch and made a fixture to fit the Rockwell/Delta belt/disk sander. It can handle tool blanks from 1/4" to 5/8".

Attachments

• IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1447.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1446.jpg
    IMG_1446.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1448.jpg
    IMG_1448.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1449.jpg
    IMG_1449.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1453.jpg
    IMG_1453.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 20
It's an interesting exercise, but for my style of grinders the problem is it's just too big and bulky. Now if you are talking about a surface grinder where the wheel is over the table that makes sense. I ran into this with my universal vise. The problem I keep running into is one of clearance or access. The tables on my carbide grinder help with generating compound angles. I've also made a small version of the universal vise out of what we used to mount electric eye's on conveyor belts. I use mine to make the special grinds I do for my shaper.

Very nice work!
I made something a bit different a few years ago to sharpen or create new HSS lathe tooling. In this case I started from scratch and made a fixture to fit the Rockwell/Delta belt/disk sander. It can handle tool blanks from 1/4" to 5/8".
Very nice work!

Back