Nova 1 Diesel

Canuck75

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Put my hand to another Motor Boys International engine, a diesel designed by I.J. van Leeuwen in 1943. The Nova 1 is a bit of a thumper with a .630” bore and .866” stroke. Made it from solid with a 7075AL rod, C12L14 cylinder, CI piston, 6061 crankcase. Used JB Weld to attach the transfer tube and carb mount. Made a AL lap and used chrome polish on the bore. That worked pretty well.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpeg
    IMG_0081.jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC07845.jpeg
    DSC07845.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC07849.jpeg
    DSC07849.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC07850.jpeg
    DSC07850.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC07851.jpeg
    DSC07851.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0065.jpeg
    IMG_0065.jpeg
    328.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0067.jpeg
    IMG_0067.jpeg
    454.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0080.jpeg
    IMG_0080.jpeg
    466.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0085.jpeg
    IMG_0085.jpeg
    520.9 KB · Views: 22
Very nice workmanship- how do you start it? is there a glow plug? What type of fuel?
-Mark

Very nice workmanship- how do you start it? is there a glow plug? What type of fuel?
-Mark
Thanks. It is a diesel so straight compression ignition. Ahhh, fuel, now that is the question. Basically needs 50% ether, 25% Naptha and 25% castor oil. My source of ether is a John Deere quick start spray can which is supposed to be 85% ether. Have to freeze it and spray it into a collection bottle in liquid then mix up the fuel. So far I have not been successful. All the engine signs are good such as compression and the intake sounds. There is a thread on this forum by Olli-Matti with a video posted May 21 2021 if you want to hear an example run.

Appreciate your interest.

Last edited:
I wonder if adding a little nitromethane glow plug fuel would help? Since glow plug engines are a form of diesel..hmmm
Also you might try heating the cylinder to help volatilize the fuel

Last edited:
I wonder if adding a little nitromethane glow plug fuel would help? Since glow plug engines are a form of diesel..hmmm
Also you might try heating the cylinder to help volatilize the fuel
Thanks Mark, will investigate, maybe switch out the Naptha for glo-fuel, see what happens. As a backup I could always make glo-plug heads just to get them running. I had an ED Redhead diesel when I was a kid (1950s) and if I remember correctly we had the Pharmacy prepare an ether saltpetre mix which we added naphtha and castor oil to. Had controlled substances even back then!

Way back when ????? Ether used to be available as a liquid in a small tin, just a few ounces. I never specifically came in contact with it, but . . . In the '50s, Pop was some sort of official at the local county hospital. Not a doctor, he was a book keeper. . . At that time, ether was kept on the shelf in small tins. It probably since has been regulated by the government to more restrictive storage. Even then, the possibilities have a start for tracking some down.

I just found out recently that glow plugs actually act as a catalyst- they use platinum wire (they seemed expensive when I was a kid)
Even so, I remember those 0.049 engines could be temperamental about starting; a pure diesel even more so I would think unless
the fuel and compression are just right

Bill & Mark, thanks for the interesting conversation. Think diesels were popular because of their supposedly simplicity but the fuel issue and starting was always there. On one occasion the screw blew out of the head on the ED and can only think that I must have backed off the compression and it fired on the next go. Made a new head with drill press, file, hacksaw, tap and a piece of AL and it worked again. Neighbour had a .049 glow engine with a wind up spring behind the prop and was thus very easy to start - envy! I'm not giving up on the diesels but even if I don't get them running they are a challenge to make and what's better than spending time in the shop!

Back