Oh the horror!

I hate to say this, but is this the image we want to be seen by visitors to the forum? Although I wouldn't call gentleman's behavior wise, we can be pretty sure he would not hang around to debate the issue after reading the comments written so far. Would any of us want to search the Web and find comments like these about our efforts?

-Freeman

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I hate to say this, but is this the image we want to be seen by visitors to the forum? Although I wouldn't call gentleman's behavior wise, we can be pretty sure he would not hang around to debate the issue after reading the comments written so far. Would any of us want to search the Web and find comments like these about our efforts?

-Freeman

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

This is the off topic section so I am not sure any rules are being broken with this. Given the fact the gentleman proudly displayed an email where he was berated for destroying a fine lathe, I don't believe he is the kind that cares much about what others think.

I don't think his actions are reprehensible. I just believe he is so into his hobby that he didn't see that he destroyed a pedigree machine to create a smaller lathe about 1/100 the quality of what he started with. This is the eventual fate of all the machines people spent their lives building and perfecting. The next generation probably won't even use the scrap to build another machine. They'll just hock the machines we own now to buy the new iphone or Nintendo.

That's progress and an indicator of the values we have now. People have lost touch where they no longer realise the hard work required to create because they are so used to consuming, disposing and destruction.

Paul.

I agree with Paul.
It's like to buy this painting

nighthawks.jpg

to scrap it to have a white canvas to paint this

DSC07394.jpg

(image sources: 1 - 2)

nighthawks.jpg DSC07394.jpg

This is the off topic section so I am not sure any rules are being broken with this. Given the fact the gentleman proudly displayed an email where he was berated for destroying a fine lathe, I don't believe he is the kind that cares much about what others think.

I don't think his actions are reprehensible. I just believe he is so into his hobby that he didn't see that he destroyed a pedigree machine to create a smaller lathe about 1/100 the quality of what he started with. This is the eventual fate of all the machines people spent their lives building and perfecting. The next generation probably won't even use the scrap to build another machine. They'll just hock the machines we own now to buy the new iphone or Nintendo.

That's progress and an indicator of the values we have now. People have lost touch where they no longer realise the hard work required to create because they are so used to consuming, disposing and destruction.

Paul.

Sadly I'm afraid you are correct. We are loosing the skills that our ancestors developed to survive in hard times. I am continuously trying to get the kids to repair tools and equipment rather that scraping it and buying new. Most recently was a HF floor jack, the only problem was the link between the handle and the pump, about an hour to fix. It went to scrap before I caught them, I was not happy. Eventually I may be able to get them turned around.

Admittedly, much of the consumer junk that is sold today is almost impossible to repair, but I did take the time to repair a $20 toaster a while back. I refuse to buy new if I can fix the stuff I have. I guess I'm not a good consumer.

J W D junk yard dog.................................

The "Y" generation is all about me and not about us !

Last edited:
I am thinking about smashing my Hardinge HLVH and melting it down to make cast iron piggy banks. Any ideas: Should I use a 9 pound hammer,or a 12#. Maybe rent a pile driver and simply stomp it into little pieces?:)

I am thinking about smashing my Hardinge HLVH and melting it down to make cast iron piggy banks. Any ideas: Should I use a 9 pound hammer,or a 12#. Maybe rent a pile driver and simply stomp it into little pieces?:)

Instead of smashing and melting it use a file (the one your wife use for the nails is perfect), file the Hardinge until you'll have just a big pile of dust, gather all the dust and mix it together with hot glue: it will look almost like metal!
On Pinterest and Etsy you'll find good examples of this :biggrin:

I have read this guys efforts before, He seems to have a sadistic sick pride in being a total destroyer of nice machinery , All be it they might be about 70 odd years old, but nice machine tools which some of the guys like us could buy be pleased with and have satisfaction using to do good work Smashing up a nice old lathe with the added taper turning attachment is appalling
He is nothing but a wannabee so called amateur foundry man /constructor who no doubt will achieve next to nothing & leave a further trail of destruction for what? as he carries on his stupid schemes!

Back