Oil catch/diverter?

jareese

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I asked this on a forum one other time and was accused of being an undercover federal agent, but in less desirable terminology.... So, here goes.

I'm new to building rifles and chambering barrels. I am not a gunsmith. I'm getting into this to be able to chamber my own barrels on a whim, and may do this as a "small" side job after obtaining my FFL if I choose to go that direction.
I am not a machinist, nor do I have any training in machinery. I am FULLY self taught besides bouncing questions in these forums, and off of others that I know.

I've chambered a barrel that I have on one of my rifles and it shoots fairly well. I am in the process of practicing more on a 32" barrel blank that I had ordered. This should give me roughly 12 Breech threading and chambering "sessions" for lack of a better term.

My issue - I'm using cutting oil in the chamber and on the chamber reamer, when going to check finish and measure, I have to blow out the oil and resultant chips. If I blow through the barrel towards the headstock, I currently hold a rag to catch the oil and chips so it doesn't get blown all over my floor and tool chest. This results in a cloud of oil being blown back at me, along with some chips.

Is there something I can use or setup to catch or deflect and or absorb the oil?

No, I'm not looking for, nor do I want a solvent trap. No I have no interest in trying to do anything nefarious. I'm trying to keep myself and my shop cleaner.

(I will stick with high Sulphur based cutting oils - not interested in flood cooling.)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Mount an angled piece of sheet metal on the rear side of the spindle and blow it thru . Set a trash can below it , no big deal .

<WHEW!>
Glad we know who the Federal Agent is around here.

:grin big::grin big::grin big::grin big::grin big:

Back