Oil Leak In G0602 Lathe

My G0602/G0752Z has started to leak out the front seal of the gearbox. It's not a fast leak, but it's a messy one. It seems to drip on the edge of the drip pan so about 75% of the oil drips off the edge of the pan. Do you need to pop out the roll pins to remove the knobs to get the printed sheet metal panel off?

My G0602/G0752Z has started to leak out the front seal of the gearbox. It's not a fast leak, but it's a messy one. It seems to drip on the edge of the drip pan so about 75% of the oil drips off the edge of the pan. Do you need to pop out the roll pins to remove the knobs to get the printed sheet metal panel off?
The holes for the gear shift knobs in the sheet metal will clear the knobs.

The holes for the gear shift knobs in the sheet metal will clear the knobs.
And so they do. I don't know why I didn't see that before!

I tried cleaning up the oil, it seems to be everywhere. I do think one source of the leak is the sight glass. If I touch the sight glass even lightly, I see oil moving at the seal boundary. It is also slightly wet under the sight glass. Also found oil inside the threaded hole of the gear box cover. This is the hole on the bottom right. It appears it is drilled nearly all the way through the cover. All of the holes for the cover appear to have been drilled in place. They are not straight in, they are all angled downwards. The bottom right hole could be weeping through a casting imperfection that gets into the hole. Or maybe, it is just the sight glass weep. A replacement front gear box cover does not have pre-drilled holes. The sight glass is cheap.

Maybe I will pull the sight glass and check if it is an o-ring problem. There is some OEM paint over spray on the site glass, they didn't do a good job of masking. For that matter, they didn't do a good paint prep on a lot of the lathe. I have areas of paint peeling off to the base metal.

I don't know if it is this simple, but I noticed the sight glass was sort of sticking out. So I pushed it flush to the surface. Have cleaned everything up. In the process a lot of paint fell off. The back side of the paint was oily. It's been a few hours, but I don't see evidence of a leak. The picture is before a lot of the paint fell off. Yes, that's bare metal.
PXL_20221101_193629511.jpg

Knock on wood :) no dripping. Everything seems dry. Reinstalled front panel. It covers up the bare metal - but I know it is there. Will need to paint sometime or another. Can't see a reason to remove the front gear box cover, as it isn't leaking.

Does anyone know if there is spray paint in Grizzly "putty" color? The only paint I have found on Grizzly is in a little can. I don't have air in my basement shop, so spray paint is better for me.

Back