Oiler felts for Atlas lathe on Ebay

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Just noticed this. I have no connection with the seller other than I did buy wiper felts from him last year. They were good.

Does using these make it so you don't have to fill the oilers so often? Like the oil is slowly metered to bearings? Including the sintered bronze bushings?

Short answer is Yes.

I have bought these for the spindle bearing cups as well as replacement felt way oilers and rubber wipers from (I think) this buyer and from Clausing. I haven't checked the comparative prices recently but my recollection is that the parts were a little cheaper from Clausing but as Clausing ships via UPS and UPS has a 1 lb minimum, which one is cheaper overall depends upon whether or not you need something else from Clausing.

That's pretty slick. So if I put this felt in the oilers of my 6" Atlas with sleeve bearings, how often would I need to fill them? Because now I do it daily

You should open the cover and look probably every day that you use the lathe. But if there is still any liquid visible, close the cover and go on to the other oiling points. I have always considered the felt plugs as insurance for when I forget to check.

Just noticed this. I have no connection with the seller other than I did buy wiper felts from him last year. They were good.

I just got mine today from this guy. You get 6 and they seem to be good quality. He also sent me some free samples of the wiper felts. They were $4.54 to my door.

Is this a "Special" type of felt material or is it just normal felt that is Pre-cut to fit the machine oilers?

Is this a "Special" type of felt material or is it just normal felt that is Pre-cut to fit the machine oilers?
Don’t know for sure, probably regular felt. I was using the Dremel polishing felts which seemed to work ok but are a little thick at 1/4”. These are 1/8” thick and leave a little more room for oil without running over.

Back