OK so I bought the Tormach TTS but I don't see what's all the fuss?

stioc

Registered
Registered
So I got the TTS R8 adapter, an ER20 collet chuck and a couple of collets. I must be dense but I'm not see any advantage of this over just my standard R8 collets. In fact, on my last milling operation I found the ER20 chuck's nut wouldn't let me get as close to the beginning of the stock (due to the hold down clamps) as the basic R8 collets. If the speed of tool change is the main thing I'm not seeing that either because I still need to undo the collet chuck's nut to change out the collets. I guess if I bought a few of the collet chucks and pre-loaded them with the tools that would make it faster...but at a cost of $30 more per tool bit. However, if I break the tool bits then popping in a new one will require the same time as it takes me on the R8 collets now.

So...I guess, for now this will be another tool for the bottom drawer of my tool chest :)

TTS is really only beneficial for the automated tool change system.

ER collet systems are like you said only really beneficial on manual mills when you have multiple holders, and even then you need a power draw bar to take full advantage.

I thought that the main deal was repeatible tool length setting as the tool holder registered off the face of the spindle? Obviously a plus with a toolchanger, but could also be handy with swapping back and forth between different tools - no need to re-zero the tool tip if it's going to be in exactly the same spot as it was before. Much like a QCTP.

So I got the TTS R8 adapter, an ER20 collet chuck and a couple of collets. I must be dense but I'm not see any advantage of this over just my standard R8 collets. In fact, on my last milling operation I found the ER20 chuck's nut wouldn't let me get as close to the beginning of the stock (due to the hold down clamps) as the basic R8 collets. If the speed of tool change is the main thing I'm not seeing that either because I still need to undo the collet chuck's nut to change out the collets. I guess if I bought a few of the collet chucks and pre-loaded them with the tools that would make it faster...but at a cost of $30 more per tool bit. However, if I break the tool bits then popping in a new one will require the same time as it takes me on the R8 collets now.

So...I guess, for now this will be another tool for the bottom drawer of my tool chest :)
TTS is really only beneficial for the automated tool change system.

ER collet systems are like you said only really beneficial on manual mills when you have multiple holders, and even then you need a power draw bar to take full advantage.

If you are using a single collet chuck, then there is no advantage. The advantage of the TTS system is that, with multiple tool holders, you can load tools and determine tool offsets so you don't have to re-reference each time you use a tool. I use the TTS system on my Tormach and on my mill/drill. I have more than two dozen TTS ER collet chucks, drill chucks, end mill holders, etc. I can set up a complex job with all my tools loaded beforehand. I can go back and forth between end mills, spotting drill, my finsh drill and tapping without having to re-reference.

I still have my full set of R8 collets, end mill holders, and several R8 mounted drill chucks but probably haven't used them more than a dozen times in the past six years.

BTW, I don't have an auto tool changer or a power drawbar.

That's what I figured, thanks guys! I guess I should setup an auto-deposit to Tormach for one collet chuck per paycheck lol I kid, they're not that pricey but just when I think my list of things to buy for this hobby (amongst others :() is winding down there's always something else haha.

That's what I figured, thanks guys! I guess I should setup an auto-deposit to Tormach for one collet chuck per paycheck lol I kid, they're not that pricey but just when I think my list of things to buy for this hobby (amongst others :() is winding down there's always something else haha.

The only thing that cures the "always something else" is when you die, run out of money, or run out of space.

Most of us have to work with budgets. I always try to look at it as the must haves vs. the nice to have. There is nothing about the TTS system that enables you to do something you couldn't do before. I just makes things easier. I bought the bulk of my TTS when I bought the Tormach 770. I had the available cash from a business deal and I considered it my retirement gift to myself. The cost didn't sting so much that way.
If I just had my mill/drill, an RT would be a much more useful investment as it enables one to perform machining operations that would be difficult, if not impossible, to do otherwise. Likewise, a DRO would be a more useful investment as it enables position your work more accurately. In fact, not having a DRO would severely implement the utility of the TTS system.

There are other sources for TTS style tool holders. If you watch for sales, you can get some pretty good deals.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/wholesales...er-CNC-Milling-Lathe-/281722204251?nav=SEARCH
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5pcs-C...551099?hash=item41bab8dafb:g:RSgAAOSwUKxYYyfU

Setscrew end mill holders and JT adapters are less expensive than the collet chucks. Several of the end mill holders in the various common shank sizes will go a long way to creating a tool arsenal. A couple of JT adapters masted to your drill chucks will also help. For indicator holders, you might want to use one of the DIY blanks rather than tying up a collet chuck and collet.

Back