Old drill presses

Well this last one makes 10 drill presses, I like old American iron I guess . I was on a old vise kick and have about 15 of them.
OK, so where is the group photo of all 10 machines. I hope they're all lined up in a nice neat row!

I would love to see more of your collection.

In this pic you can see the bent table raise handle it is cast I would like to straighten it, I’m thinking cherry red heat ,
Also the quill lever arm is broken I’m thinking silicone bronze or silver soldering, I’m guessing it fell over at some point what y’all think ?.View attachment 371654
If you can do bronze, go that way. It takes more heat, but should be more stable. It's why that is used on lathe bed repairs.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

If you can do bronze, go that way. It takes more heat, but should be more stable. It's why that is used on lathe bed repairs.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
I have some silicone bronze but a friend brought me some nickel stick rods for cast iron , what’s best ?.

Well this last one makes 10 drill presses, I like old American iron I guess . I was on a old vise kick and have about 15 of them.
I always thought changing drill bits in a drill press was a waste of time and energy too! I should also get a drill press for each drill bit size I commonly use! ;)

I gest about the drill presses... BUT I DO have 4 random orbit sanders, one for each grit I commonly use on woodworking projects. I purchased ALL of them used, so don't think me to extravagant.

I won't even go into the number of routers I have for woodworking :)

Last edited:
Great looking DP's.... and thanks for the pics.

Welding cast;

My best nickel stick rod story was the blade hubs on a Woods finishing mower. I hit a rock or something and busted one of the flanges off,pretty badly. Being a young homeowner with a bunch of crumbsnatchers,dropping the 70$ on a new one wasn't in the cards(big money 30 years ago). Went to the welding dealer and hardassed'm out of a cpl nickel rods. Did all the prep,welded fine,yadayada.

A cpl years later....

Kids are now dragging "stuff" around the yard and well,just being kids. I didn't see the short piece of C channel truck bumper? piece they had been playing with. Yup,hit it with the very same hub that had been welded. To my complete satisfaction,it broke in two places but NOT where I had welded.

Fast fwd. I Tig most cast iron these days with silicon bronze. Throwing it up on a yard sale electric griddle for a good long heat soak,at full throttle. Then weld it right on the griddle,cover with foil HVAC insulation "blanket".... ramping heat down over a cpl hours. Each weldment presents challenges on the "tacks". But have been thoroughly satisfied with the results. Not saying I won't go back to nickel,and stick... it works but,the Tig is so precise.

Good luck with your DP welding.

Great looking DP's.... and thanks for the pics.

Welding cast;

My best nickel stick rod story was the blade hubs on a Woods finishing mower. I hit a rock or something and busted one of the flanges off,pretty badly. Being a young homeowner with a bunch of crumbsnatchers,dropping the 70$ on a new one wasn't in the cards(big money 30 years ago). Went to the welding dealer and hardassed'm out of a cpl nickel rods. Did all the prep,welded fine,yadayada.

A cpl years later....

Kids are now dragging "stuff" around the yard and well,just being kids. I didn't see the short piece of C channel truck bumper? piece they had been playing with. Yup,hit it with the very same hub that had been welded. To my complete satisfaction,it broke in two places but NOT where I had welded.

Fast fwd. I Tig most cast iron these days with silicon bronze. Throwing it up on a yard sale electric griddle for a good long heat soak,at full throttle. Then weld it right on the griddle,cover with foil HVAC insulation "blanket".... ramping heat down over a cpl hours. Each weldment presents challenges on the "tacks". But have been thoroughly satisfied with the results. Not saying I won't go back to nickel,and stick... it works but,the Tig is so precise.

Good luck with your DP welding.
Yes I ended up using nickel stick rod on the down handle turned out good . This week dp is getting blasted with aluminum oxide For paint prep.

Back