Old wrought iron?

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
My uncle gave me what he said was old sled runners. I think they might have been industrial to be so thick. I'm cutting off a piece to mill flat and soak in vinegar for a week to see the striations.

20230609_180832.jpg

20230609_181540.jpg

A bit of milling.

20230609_183841.jpg

45 seconds on the surface grinder.

20230609_183849.jpg

Does this break mean it's cast?

20230609_184105.jpg

Does old cast or wrought iron have value to the blacksmithing community?

Cast, no. Wrought, yes. Wrought iron is less likely to burn than mild steel when forge welding.

Wrought iron bar stock was manufactured until slightly before the 20th century. Wrought iron pipe was made until around WWII because of its better chemical resistance than mild steel. I have a ton or two from a bridge erected in 1893. The simple flats and rounds were wrought iron while the angle iron and channel was mild steel.

Cast, no. Wrought, yes. Wrought iron is less likely to burn than mild steel when forge welding.

Wrought iron bar stock was manufactured until slightly before the 20th century. Wrought iron pipe was made until around WWII because of its better chemical resistance than mild steel. I have a ton or two from a bridge erected in 1893. The simple flats and rounds were wrought iron while the angle iron and channel was mild steel.
Cast iron doesn't bring much for scrap. I'll drop the piece in vinegar and see if it's cast.

The corroded bars should have shown a distinct grain (like wood) if the parts were wrought iron. No grain means it is not wrought iron.

Last edited:
The sled runner thing is interesting. I'm thinking runners for a horse drawn plow (sled) is more likely! Nothing wrong with good material, there may be parts hiding inside.

Back