Opinions needed on used Bridgeport mills from Facebook Marketplace.

Really , you can't get a decent drill press for $500 . This is a no-brainer . Looks like a little band saw next to it , maybe he'll throw it in for a few more $$$$$ . If you get the upcoming snow , pull it home on a sled . :big grin:

If as advertised it should be an excellent value. Parts alone, etc, …

Just don’t pay until you actually lay your hands on it.

Sometimes folks just want the machine gone. Sometimes they don’t actually have the machine but still want your money.

John

For 500.00 grab it up before someone else does!
That looks like a decent machine but no one who isn't standing in front of it can tell you much more.
It is a step pulley, which I highly recommend as the head seldom needs repair.
It has a digital read out but not Like the latest greatest.
Don't hesitate It will be gone.

Thank You for the reply and advice. I will try to quickly buy it.

$500 is not far off from scrap price.
I would snag it myself If I had the room and cash. At worst it becomes a parts machine?
You should see most of the stuff offered up around here.

Thanks for the reply. I completely agree. I have seen even less than $500 on HGR but they are really in bad condition, dusty and rusted. This one seems promising.

For $500...?

Don't wait...

Go get it...

Like, now...

-Bear

Thanks for the reply. I will do it.

Something like that you shouldn't waste time asking about it- just buy it

Thanks for the reply. I completely agree.
I will start watching videos how I should disassemble it and ship it to me.
The seller is only 35 mins away from me.

Would it be better if I disassemble at sellers location or just ship it to my place as a complete unit?
I worry if any pot holes or bumps in the road/street will permanently scratch or damage the ways or something in the BP.

You haven't bought it yet? Jump on it.

Thanks for the reply. I will buy it ASAP. Not sure how I will do the shipping yet. I want to disassemble it at seller place and dock it into a trailer or truck. Not sure how to exactly go about it. I think I will need a special hydraulic pallet to transfer the BP parts into the truck/trailer.

I feel like the BP might get damaged on the ways or something during transportation as an assembled unit... or maybe I'm being too concerned which I shouldn't be.

Last edited:
What was that address ? Put snow tires on and go get it for $500 . That short table is quite cute . :encourage:

Thanks for the reply.
In Buffalo, NY about 35 mins away from me.

Better hurry, I've opened a tab in Google maps!

Thanks for the reply.
Hopefully I get it before :)

If as advertised it should be an excellent value. Parts alone, etc, …

Just don’t pay until you actually lay your hands on it.

Sometimes folks just want the machine gone. Sometimes they don’t actually have the machine but still want your money.

John

Thanks for the reply.
I have a good feeling on this one.

Thanks for the reply. I will buy it ASAP. Not sure how I will do the shipping yet. I want to disassemble it at seller place and dock it into a trailer or truck. Not sure how to exactly go about it. I think I will need a special hydraulic pallet to transfer the BP parts into the truck/trailer.

I feel like the BP might get damaged on the ways or something during transportation as an assembled unit... or maybe I'm being too concerned which I shouldn't be.
I suspect it would be hard to disassemble it at the seller's location, especially if you haven't disassembled one before. Even just removing the motor is a pain from a weight standpoint, and that's one of the lighter pieces you'd have to remove.

The general consensus on transporting mills is to lower the knee as far as possible, then rotate the head so that the motor is pointing down (loosen four bolts and then support the head manually while you crank the adjusting bolt). At that point you've got the center of gravity as low as possible...you can actually do that after it's been placed on the trailer.

I run a binding chain across the base and use boards to protect the base from damage. Then use four 2" straps that go around the body of the mill to each corner of the trailer (or truck bed) and cinch them tight. So one strap would connect at the right front corner, go around the mill and back to the RF corner...repeat to each corner. That way no matter which direction it wants to move, it's directly fighting a strap. I did that and towed my BP directly through the worst roads in the Detroit area and it didn't move an inch. Using only two or three points will allow movement and as soon as it moves a touch, one of the other straps will be loose. You want an X with the mill in the center.

I would have zero concern about the ways getting damaged. You could tighten the friction locks so the table can't move just to be safe.

Back