Opinions on 6013 welding rods?

Thickest I have welded so far with 6013 was 1".

I have a piece of scrap railroad track that I use as an anvil and wanted to make the top surface bigger.

Welded on an additional 1" square bar.

Went overboard a bit - I think I used five or six 3.2mm rods!

One interesting thing I noticed when cleaning up the top end with and angle grinder is that I cannot see the difference between the metal of the railroad track and the welds. The colour / texture looks identical.

Damn I love being able to stick pieces of metal together. :cool:

I really need to get some more metal - it seems that all the pieces of scrap metal I had lying around has now been welded together.

From one extreme to another:

My mother in law has a small table that needed to be reinforced a bit. The square tubing used on the table is very thin - about 1.5 mm

Anyway - managed to weld on two additional support bars without burning holes or melting everything.

If it really needs to stay stuck together I use 6011. If it needs to stay stuck together and look pretty I use a 6011 root weld and 6013 top weld. ....Bob

Just use 6013 it has the same tensel strength as 6011 and will leave a nice bead. If you use 6011 you will not get all the flux out and top coating will look like crap, its just a table so an extensive weld is probaly not needed

6013 is junk wire. I use 6011 or 6010. even certified with 6010 vertical horizontal and flat. also pipe. same certs. with 110-18

Back