Orphaned Compressor

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Jake had success in identifying his pump & I too sent my info to the compressor site linked in that post. Since mine is apparently more obscure, I'll ask here if anyone has a clue of as to what I have.
W 20180408 01 - Copy.jpgW 20180408 02 - Copy.jpgW 20180408 03 - Copy.jpgW 20180408 04 - Copy.jpgW 20180408 05 - Copy.jpgW 20180408 06 - Copy.jpg

Yes, I think, older style refrigeration compressor, the type that was used for refrigerated cabinets in a shop. Because they were not a sealed unit they were most often mounted outside the building as they were prone to gas leakage.

Obviously it is a refrigeration compressor, the flanged connections give it away, it would also have a mechanical seal at the pulley end of the crankshaft. For purposes of air compression these are not generally a good item, as they are not designed to keep oil from being discharged with the gas; in a refrigeration system, oil routinely circulates through the system along with the refrigerant in its fluid/gas states; being that these are sealed systems, it is of little importance to keep oil from circulating the system, at least in small amounts.

Thanks for the tips guys. I believe this was a spare that may have been for use in the operation of high voltage power breakers - typically air close. Oil in this type of system that should not have to operate very often, would be considered a plus. I could be wrong, as I got this at a flee market. Oil as I got it is like new - not the case in any compressor I've maintained while in service. Any ideas of the 'W' as perhaps the manufacturer?

Worthington perhaps? Just want to find info on it.

The "W" could be Worthington, used to be a big name in refrigeration compressors. No reason why it cant be used as a shop air compressor as long as you arrange an oil separator and drain oil back to crank case. A small amount of oil is fine in air tools, as long as you don't use it for spray painting.

Back