Osama 1760 Over a full turn of backlash on cross slide

Net30

Registered
Registered
So this full turn of backlash on the cross slide is getting annoying. The adjustment screw in the middle of the Cross slide that pushes down on the wedge is not threaded all the way through. So I'm not sure if there is supposed to be something that extends the screw into that wedge. But as of now, that adjustment screw does nothing.

Is yours tapped all the way through the cross slide? Or is there a pin and spring hanging out the bottom of it?

Also has anyone had any luck taking the cross slide hand wheel off? Mine will not budge, and I'm not sure if it's the coolant that's coated everything or if I'm not disassembling correctly.

So this full turn of backlash on the cross slide is getting annoying. The adjustment screw in the middle of the Cross slide that pushes down on the wedge is not threaded all the way through. So I'm not sure if there is supposed to be something that extends the screw into that wedge. But as of now, that adjustment screw does nothing.

Is yours tapped all the way through the cross slide? Or is there a pin and spring hanging out the bottom of it?

Also has anyone had any luck taking the cross slide hand wheel off? Mine will not budge, and I'm not sure if it's the coolant that's coated everything or if I'm not disassembling correctly.
I dissembled my cross slide yesterday and the small Allen does go all the way through and pushes against a wedge between the bronze half nuts, I'm currently making a new lead screw and half nut because i cannot find parts. I will attach some pictures this afternoon, also most of my backlash was the jamb nut on the backside of the lead screw was very loose, i would start there

I dissembled my cross slide yesterday and the small Allen does go all the way through and pushes against a wedge between the bronze half nuts, I'm currently making a new lead screw and half nut because i cannot find parts.

I dissembled my cross slide yesterday and the small Allen does go all the way through and pushes against a wedge between the bronze half nuts, I'm currently making a new lead screw and half nut because i cannot find parts. I will attach some pictures this afternoon, also most of my backlash was the jamb nut on the backside of the lead screw was very loose, i would start there
I replaced the bearings on mine and tighten them up pretty good on the back side of the lathe. I cannot for the life of me, remove the handles that turn the lead screws. I think I got to put some more Force into it, but I'm worried about breaking things.

Don't forget to update us, so many people get what they need and then never come back. Someone will eventually find this thread and need it And it might help me be able to find how to remove that Crosslide handle.

Last edited:
So this full turn of backlash on the cross slide.....

While you are in there, and before you go too far.....

One full turn of backlash in the screw/nut assembly by it's self is not possible. That's one entire thread on the screw COMPLETELY bypassing one entire thread on the nut. That's a fully stripped screw or a fully stripped nut. What you have is some backlash in the screw/nut combination (probably, but that would need to be measured before making assumptions), AND you have some lost motion somewhere in the whole assembly. Something besides the nut is causing a majority portion of this issue. Maybe he nut it's self is wiggly in it's mounting, the lead screw locating (bearing?, bushing?, thrust washer?) has some looseness?. Whatever is going on, if it's over a turn, it can NOT be exclusively in the threads, and the majority of it will probably be elswhere. Unless you can actually push the cross slide freely back and forth WITHOUT turning the screw, but you imply that you're using the machine as it is?

You need to find this other "discrepancies" first, (which will probably end up being multiple other "discrepancies"), as duplicating worn parts will leave you with a brand new, shiny, parts in the exact same state of wear as the old parts.

I replaced the bearings on mine and tighten them up pretty good on the back side of the lathe. I cannot for the life of me, remove the handles that turn the lead screws. I think I got to put some more Force into it, but I'm worried about breaking things.
Sorry I didn't get any pictures yet, so the handle is on a taper so after removing the 5mm allen I used a rubber mallet gently tapping from one side to the next and it will come off, after removing the thimble holder and final jam nut remove the 2 Allen's holding the lead screw shaft housing, after that is removed you can pull out that first section of shaft that actually drives the lead screw, there is a brass bushing on the end with a key for alignment, from there on the backside of the cross slide just remove ur 2 jamb nuts and the bearing holder and slide ur lead screw out( after ur cross slide has been removed witch are just the 3 Allen's coming down to ur half nut) I would clean and inspect everything very well, at this point you will have a very good understanding of how it works and where the backlash is coming from, I found that my jamb nut backed off causing backlash but also my half nut was worn sitting lower so when the cross slide was back on and tight it was putting my lead screw in a bind making things very tight( alot to take in but I will help with whatever is hanging you up) attach pictures if you get stuck or need more info

Back