OT Smart shop or lazy...

tq60

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So we have a couple thrift stores in our general routes that we stop to check out when in the area.

This last week we stopped at one and found an Amazo Echo Show, like new in its box, got it and some other stuff for 5 bucks.

Still was assigned to previous owner but simple reset took care of that.

Fun to tinker with but put it back in the box for another day.

2 days later we visit another store and find 2 new in box TP-Link smart plugs, 2 bucks each, and the box states works with echo so we got them both.

So the Alexa goes in the shop near the shop computer, the new stereo has Bluetooth so it makes a decent sound source, but Bluetooth is a lot lower than tuner.

What can we use the smart plugs for?

All of the lighting is hard wired except for a couple task lights.

The stereo does not come on when plugged in sono good there.

The air compressor however has possibilities.

It is 7.5 HP with magnetic control so we had added a small switch in the control line for controlling the unit.

We added a relay to open this line controlled by a cord plugged into an outlet connected to the light switch.

We also have a solenoid control on the air line so it can be controlled.

We built a panel with the air control, pressure gage and master regulator and added an outlet with a switch as a master.

This plugs into the light controlled outlet, the compressor relay and air seleniod plug into the panel outlet.

So we would open the ball valve on tank to allow air to work.

When lights are on the shop is connected to the tank and the compressor can operate if the switch on it is on.

If tank has air and we just end to do little things and do not need to run the pump we would flip the master and leave pump off.

Need more air turn pump on.

So we plugged the smart plug into the light controlled outlet and named it "compressor"

"Alexa compressor on" turns it on, off turns it off.

I could move this one to the cord that goes to the pump and add the other one where this one was and call it "Air", I could control the pump and air separately.

The echo hears very well, I asked it to turn the air on from some distance and it worked well.

Would never have bought this stuff at retail for this but for 9 bucks total...maybe...
f1c531475f67e3f115b30fb3f10af724.jpg
8e7fc5416cbe35c668d43ff19388ab53.jpg
c87dc6215c639ba3aab3016af50c346e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Problems were 2, dog would forget to close fridge door occasionally and didn't always grab the correct can.

We went head and added the second unit.

Problem with the smart plugs is socket overhang, they partially block the opposite socket in a standard outlet.

We had a generic wall wart to drive the coil in the air solenoid so that had to go.

We found a corded adaptor that did not have a safety ground.

The shape of the plug was indented for better grip to remove from wall, but this fit the shape of the smart plug.

So "air" controls the master which is air and compressor

"Compressor" controls the compressor pump.

Assigned both to a group "air compressor" so we could activate both with single command, does not work as they are daisy chained so we tell it air first, then compressor.

Was handy today as we were tinkering and we would control the air system by voice from our bench.

We have a leak that needs to be fixed, slow leak but do not want the compressor cycling because of it.

Turning the air on just when we need it was handy.

Saved lots of trips to the corner where the air valve is.

The TP-Link app suggesting we could build routines, we may do that later to have the 2 smart plugs come on in a sequence with a delay long enough for the second one to boot up and be ready.

That is another day...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Back