Outdoor Plasma Table Condition

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
About a year ago I posted a thread on my 2' x 2' plasma table that I keep outdoors, under my deck year round. I thought it might be interesting to report on its condition after roughly three years of use.

I have done no maintenance other than to occasionally lightly sand the cam follower path on the cold roll steel bar, and blow out the gear racks. The stepper motors have stayed outside, as have all other parts as shown. The motor cables, ground cable, and torch cable are stored inside my basement door, and extended outside for use. I keep the whole works under a $20 water repellant table cover (link below). I have used the same cover for the entire three years, and change the bungee cord once a year.

When I built the plasma table, I made two of the upper assemblies, in case I needed a spare. Doesn't look like I will ever need it. If you don't particularly care what your system looks like, and want to use it without the usual worries about plasma smoke, dust and debris, you might think about a similar arrangement.

Of course, you need to live in an area where it is out of sight and the danger of theft is minimal.

Outdoor cover link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ERLHSU?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Attachments

• 2x2 CNC Plasma.jpg
    2x2 CNC Plasma.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 38
  • new bungee.jpg
    new bungee.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
  • under deck.jpg
    under deck.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
  • cold roll rail.jpg
    cold roll rail.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • X axis.jpg
    X axis.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • Y axis.jpg
    Y axis.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • cover off.jpg
    cover off.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • spare.jpg
    spare.jpg
    966 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I played with the idea of a plasma table but for my use it doesn't seem accurate enough and it's tough to get around the fact my stuff which ends up being like a lattice of .125x.125 CRS gets annealed and floppy from the heat. The other major consideration was the amount of room it takes up and the smoke, dust and debris as that stuff is toxic to humans and no good in electronics and machinery. So wheeling it outside to use would be the obvious solution.

I already have a spot picked out for mine, outside, when I get around to building it. I don't want one of those messy things in my shop.

My brother has one IN his shop. It's a mess!
R

There’s nothing that kills a plasma like that metallic dust.

Back