Outside Jaw Grip Capacity of a 3" or 4" lathe chuck

Got a chance to spend a little time in the shop this afternoon due to the rain. I finished dialing in the 3 jaw chuck on the 5C mount. In the end I settled for .0012" runout 2" from the jaws. I had it down to .0006, but every time I finished tightening the bolts it would move a few tenths. I disassembled it at least half a dozen times and cleaned every surface, but it still moves, (or warps a few tenths when everything is tight. Since the end result is well within the spec of any new 3 jaw chuck I am aware of I settled for GOOD rather than Perfection.

I also installed the new Sherline 4 jaw 5C chuck and was quite happy with the ease of being able to zero it in. It came with a single Allen wrench rather than the standard square T handle, so adjusting it is a more delicate procedure. The enclosed instructions make note that it's a LIGHT DUTY CHUCK and will not withstand the forces used to adjust a larger more robust chuck. Having said that it only took about a minute to dial in a 3/4" drill rod to .0000".

This is the first new chuck I've purchased. All of the dozen or so I have either came with a machine or were purchased used from an equipment dealer or shop.

Back