Paid Gig Simple Shaft

Well, at least there would be beer involved.
When I worked for Fred, some guy with a simple job like this would walk in the door late in the afternoon. Fred would hand the job to one of us youngsters and send the guy out for beer. One of these came in on a Friday but he insisted on paying cash. When I complained, Fred told me "you can't get beer from everybody". Word to live by.

I've done a couple home shop jobs and always wayyyy under quote. End up making <$20 an hour not including the purchase price of machines and equipment. Always kicking myself.

Oh man, this is exactly why I don't even TRY to make money in my shop.

My process would have been:

• send person link to speedy-metals and tell them to bring it over when they are ready.
  • wait however long until they find a weeknight/weekend to stop by.
  • Toss in 6 jaw, face end.
  • Chamfer first end
  • rough cut in band saw (if necessary, person probably bought as short as they could:) )
  • face 2nd end
  • chamfer 2nd end
  • Pop into some V-blocks on the mill vise
  • set up mill table stop
  • find center of work
  • mill key way in 4 passes
  • flip work
  • mill key way in 4 passes
  • hand file and part to "customer", tell him to debur
  • Start drinking beer he brought over while he does it
  • Finish 1st beer, hand him the vacuum to clean up lathe and mill
  • Grab 2nd beer, finish while he cleans.
  • Mock him for falling behind on the drinking part of the day.
  • Grab 3rd beer.
What kind of beer?

Made me think of my first only paying job as a machinist. I was working full time in the mill and we needed a part. Non-magnetic. . . A rod some 24 inches long and 1/8 inch diameter. Threaded 5-40 on both ends. I suggested brass, but no it just had to be steel. To be ordered from England, turnaround time, (m/l) 8 weeks. It all depended on US Customs. . . We needed the part yesterday, there were no more in stock. The parts man was falling down on the job? No, he wasn't aware of the part, we were supposed to return the device to England for repair. The fallacy of a large(international) corporation buying equipment and locals having to get by with whatever they set up for parts.

Finding a non-magnetic grade of stainless was simple. The vendor only a couple-three miles away. Cut to length with a hacksaw, thread with single pointing then finishing with a die. Piece of cake, only took a couple days after work. Then the problem of getting them in the plant, I wasn't going to work for free. After all was said and done, I wished I had.

Get a "Bid Status" from the company~~No, I'm an employee so not eligable. Got a buddy at the electronics supplier to front for me. Ship the rods strapped to a piece of 1x4 to prevent mishandling. Supply house wants "proper" packaging, no "jack leg" parts. Get the part dropped off the next visit by the salesman. Two days, I think. But it has to go through the shipping/recieving department to my division. A week, more or less before it was available for use.

Finally, two months later, the supply house gets paid. They want to pay me by check; I don't have a checking account. Do everything cash, or don't do it. The supply house won't pay me personal, it must be a company. Find another buddy with a "retired" corporate identity, then have him go to the bank with proof that he "is" the corporation.

All this time I'm out the funds for the stainless rod, 8 pieces as I recall. Plus my profit, what little there was. To any and all who run a "job shop", you have my heartfelt sympathies. It takes so much time shuffling papers 'til the ink wears off that I'll never do it again. The plant is no more, and the machinist (me) is retired. If somebody needs a part, I'll make "it", one piece, singular, to help them out of a bind. But they bring the material, and the Mt Dew, and hang around while I work. And pay in cash, if required, up front before starting. Even though I now have a "corporate identity" myself and multiple checking accounts, I'll never do that again.

Back