Parting Block

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
Was wondering if anyone has used one of these shars or the like any opinions 1-2-POSITIVE-STOP-BLADE-CUT-OFF-SET-1F.jpg

I have what's probably the same thing. Mine's labeled Glanze. Don't recall if I got it from Grizzly or LMS. Works pretty well. The carbide inserts in mine have a very shallow V relief, so the chips curl inward, away from the sides of the cut. Once in a while (probably due to poor technique), I've had one jam or collide - good bye insert. And one time it messed up the pocket on the bar. Luckily it's double-ended!

Generally, I think it's a good tool, especially for the price.

There are some higher-grade tools available, that include a backstop for the insert. They're a bit more expensive. Haven't tried them.

I don't have one, but I really want one. It's definitely on my wish list.

GG

Sent using Tapatalk from someplace deep inside the garage

Hi
I also have the Glanze model which takes GTN2 inserts and a generic Indian made one for GTN3 Inserts. I have found then to work much better than ground HSS parting blades.
I generally don't part off greater than 20mm diameter, any more & I finish off with a hacksaw. Just make sure the blade is exactly perpendicular and keep the insert cutting. Too litle feed is as bad as too much.

I am now about to try one of these as the insert is fully supported at the rear unlike the GTN blades. They are also available for 2mm & 3mm width inserts

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281643257662?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=580646382405&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Ron

I have been having good luck with the T shaped cut off bars but would like one of these if they were not so expensive. Just given a old style Armstrong or William parting holder that I will try. I goes in the old style tool post forgot the name.

I use an aloris bxa 77-i quick change holder that is a built in blade holder for 19- 3/4" blades, super rigid, more rigid than putting that block into a qc holder, but I do have that same block setup and it's works great if you don't want the cost of the holder I use now

Back