Parting made easy

The parting blade is not installed in the photo. The smaller block of aluminum is the holder. You can see the slot for the blade. Here's one installed, hopefully that helps clarify.

IMG_20190808_201244.jpg

The rest of the time it's flex I don't want.
I have had decent luck with just getting a little bit aggressive with feed rates on any given parting job. The flex aspect of this situation is one I surely can appreciate. One day, I will build my Plinth:eek 2:

Man! I can't tell you what crap luck i have parting. I have a HSS & a carbide cut off. Have it on absolute dead center & half raised it a hair, lowered it a hair. I've tried higher rotation, slower rotation. Thicker oil, thinner oil, nothing does a nice clean job...it's a battle i tells ya. I've watched many a video but something just isn't right. Having a live center helps....a little, but thats not always an option. This approaching from the backside is something i haven't tried, but seems you need your compound to go WAY in to approach from back? No? Pictures/videos anyone?

IMG_20191104_134104_1.jpg. This is the set up that I recently built on advise and instructions gleaned from this forum.
Take too much typing to explain the grooves and holes right now.
Chuck
PS it works great.

Back